McNair Not Ready to Step Aside

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLTitansfan

FLTitansfan Guest

i knew something like this would surface after his agent ran his mouth i think he'll sign a two year deal or a one year extension if you will go somewhere in 2008 and fade like eddie theres no way they give the reigns to an unproven rookie unless they want a top 5 pick next year that is just flat out crazy they dont look toward next years draft so i know someone will give and its probably tenn not steve cuz he could get paid elsewhere plus an outright release will only save what 9-10 mil and he'll still eat up 14 mil thats crazy too.

2. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

My only problem with what Rolltide is saying is... Well, what do you know? I don't have ANY problem with what Rolltide is saying. People keep saying that you can't pay two Qb's... But the Bengals did.
    Now Mcnair will get more than Kitna did, and deservedly so. But the real trouble with Keeping Steve for 2-3 years and the QB of the future as #2 really comes down to how creative Floyd can be with the cap.
    Most of us have thought all along that Steve is one and done, or just done. But why are there not more Mcnair supporters advocating some creative cap works with the New QB. We can still pay the new guy tons of dollars. Just not high base salaries. And we can pay steve big money, just not lot's of bonus money.

3. We need Steve for 2 or 3 more years, you are right the great qb's had to wait and learn under a veteran, Steve waited under Chandler, Young under Montana, we have to be patient, I hope that Steve's contract is going to be restructured for 2 years with a possible extension for 1 more year.

4. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

From a McNair supporter.

First, he was booed a lot at the Coliseum the first year. Second, I think everything he says sounds reasonable. He and the Titans have an agreement. Why should he HAVE to negotiate. It would be nice if he did but that does not make him a horrible and selfish person. Especially considering what O'Donnell and Godfrey have went threw in the past. Steve basically feels that he start for 2-3 more years. He is more than willing to fulfull the current contract and become a free agent next year. The ball in the Titans court if they don't believe he is worth it then release him so he can try out the market. What' wrong with that.

5. fltitan

fltitan Guest

Im a big McNair fan but simply dont believe he is still worth top 5 qb money. If we do release him he will probably find no one else believes he's worth top 5 qb money either.The Ravens are looking for a qb to compete with Boller but they won't pay top money for Steve or anyone else thats why they havent been players in FA qb market. The rumors they are waiting for Steve to be released is probably true but only at their price. We need to do a 2 year deal thats fair to Steve and the team with an option for a 3rd year. If Steve can play for 2 or 3 more years at a high level great if not he's here 1 to 2 years and we move on.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

No he is not. McNair has already said he doesn't want to be a stop gap for the next QB (he doesn't want to waste one of the few years he has left playing as a lame duck). We can make him fulfill his contract but then we have a lame duck QB who really doesn't want to be here. Also Reese has said that leaving things as they are currently is not an option because of the CAP hit.
    The bottom line is McNair want a 3 year deal either with the Titans or he wants to leave and get his deal somewhere else. Even a 3 year deal with the Titans is not exactly what McNair wants if we draft a QB because then he will have a rookie breathing down his neck.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see McNair as the kind who wouldn't give the Titans his all if things remain as they are now with him making $10 mil in '06. If anything, it is incentive for him to produce even more as it would drive up his demand after '06.

And, he WOULD be making $10 mil.

8. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I'm not sold on it yet.

We do need to commit to Steve, but Steve has to give a little too. He, like Eddie WOULD have, will benefit from it. If you want to be a 10 mil QB, play like one. IMO, Steve did not give us our monies worth last year, or 2004, IMO.
    "......and then Young gets the nod", true, IF they select him in April.
    I feel as you do. I am tried of loosing. I want atleast 11 wins in 2006. I really don't think it'll happen. As a scholar once told me, "Rome was not built in one day". We will be back on top looking down on Indy, but not tomorrow. We still have a few things that need tweaked!

9. fitantitans

????????

Steve's first year at the Coliseum, he went undefeated.
    It really pains me to say this, but Steve was booed in the Coliseum last year. The first time for being unwilling to run the ball, which he corrected a couple weeks later. The second time for being completely inaccurate in his passing. Too many overthrown or underthrown passes.

10. fitantitans

But.........

I can also quote Steve McNair almost a year ago today: "I am in the best shape of my career". He did not play that great last year, and did not stay healthy. Not just back problems, its chest problems (from falling on the ball), toe problems, ankle problems. Everyone, (the fans, media, Fisher, the FO), give him credit for playing hurt in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and probably in 2006. "He can't practice this week, but will play on Sunday" is weekly reading in the Tennessean. And it will be weekly reading in 2006. It was Steve that first mentioned the "R" word, not the Titans.
    Please don't get me wrong, I love Steve and what he has done for this team and the City of Nashville and the state of Tennessee. But things change. Decisions have to be made for what is best for the TEAM, not just one player, even if he was a great one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar