McNair Expects Return to be Emotional

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Nov 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I knew it too. And I didn't want him back at that ridiculous number with his "average" performance. I'm not a sentimentalist- but locking a guy out from work rather than having a "sit-down"? Come on- that's just stupid.

I know you are not a McNair fan but you can't deny he handled the situation very professionally- something our FO failed to do.

I'm sick of losing. This is the third year of having an embarrassing team- one that with a few exceptions is never really in the game. It will make me feel like crap as a Titans fan, if our former gritty franchise player (that we "locked out") comes in and beats my team the same way I fanatically cheered for him as he led my team down the field for a win.

Hell yeah Steve- I'm emotional about the game too.

2. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

McNair was paid a total of $52M by the Titans. They didn't owe him any money, deferred or otherwise. As GoTitans3801 says, he was paid up front every time he restructured his contract.

I would have liked for all the companies I worked for over the years to have paid my salary up front, instead of getting a paycheck every payday.

3. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I think the lockout was just a way of saying you won't be back, Bad way of saying it though. I still wonder if McNair or his agent didn't know that ahead of time and said why not..lets do it anyway

4. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

The lockout was strictly business. Had he "hurt" himself working out on premises, the Titans would have been responsible for his salary. He and Bus knew that, and it was just a staged incident. Now Lewis is playing the race card and saying he was treated this way because he is black. McNair is saying Farve wouldn't be treated like this. I hope KVB has his way with him Sunday.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

this about sums it up for me.

6. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Without rehashing this whole thing. His agent has since admitted the whole thing was ochestrated GET INTO REALITY PEOPLE!

This thing had NOTHING to do with money. It had to do with winning.
    He's a raven now and $100 says he'll retire a raven.
    I'm Booing him and i can respect anyone who won't boo him BUT.... no self respecting Titan fan will cheer for a RAVEN at our house.

And i have to add...
    SCREW MCNAIR AND HIS DESERTION!

7. SteveH

SteveH Starter

Him being here 11 years and all that - he knows the worse team he could've gone to was the Ravens..
    It would be nice if people cheered and all - but what with RayRay stoking things up, that's just not going to happen..

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Ray-Ray just wants us to piss Steve off by booing so Steve will play well against us. I think this whole issue is a truck-load of doo-doo.

I'm cheering for Steve during the introduction and when he gets put on the turf, throws INT's or fumbles, etc.

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

So everything that we discussed last spring was all a lie? That Reese's contract strategy did not create a situation that made Steve's salary 25% of the roster salary? Are you telling me that everyone here who knew anything about the contract issue were making it all up? That they even went so far as to create false links to press articles to back up the story? Are you saying that all this time Steve was just telling them to pay him more money and that it had nothing to do with the FO deciding that they didn't want to pay the money that they had promised him? That it wasn't a cap issue? That it was a matter of sheer greed on the part of Steve McNair, and that no fault at all lies with the GM? Is that what you're saying?

10. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

I believe you may be confusing McNair's salary cap number with money somehow "owed" to him.

I also think you may be confusing base salary with the salary cap and the way it is calculated. His salary would not have been a quarter of the roster salary, but his cap number would have been 23% of the total cap for the team.

His $23.5M cap number was comprised of $13.5M in prorated signing bonus, 9M in 2006 base salary, and 1M as non-exercise bonus (or penalty, depending on viewpoint.) The $13.5M had already been paid to him. He didn't earn the 9M or the 1M by being on the roster this fall.

What money is it you think the Titans "owe" McNair?

Nobody made anything up or created false links.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar