Mccarthy vs Fisher...a lesson to learn..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

From someone who has been living up here and listening to the radio talk....

The reason they passed more this season was because Ryan Grant went down early. Brandon Jackson was not able to fill the gap consistently all season. Starks essentially did not exist until the very late season/postseason. They pretty much had no choice BUT to pass.

However, they started to roll when Starks started to show up to play. Remember that they needed help to even get into the playoffs??? That was because, absent a consistent running game, they had really struggled.

The reason they made it and won here has as much to do with a more consistent run game as anything else offensively (as well as a vastly improved defense as mentioned by others here).

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You are the one doing that. Those are your stats and those stats tell us that 8 of the 15 teams(More than half) won the super bowl by running the ball more than passing it. The 2005 Steelers ran it 59% of the time!

I'm not saying you absolutely have to run it more. What i'm arguing against is this moronic mentality that throwing it more is somehow more modern, more intelligent or more sophisticated. Or that throwing more automatically makes you better. It odes none of those things.

What i am saying is that running the ball is important and that the vast majority of nfl teams need to respect the running game to succeed. Very few teams can just throw the ball all over the place and win and very few teams do.

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Great thread Roll Tide. I have to agree with you. I still would have had Fisher's back had he been willing to put his friendships and loyalty to those friends aside so this team could win. He'd rather go down stinking with his guys than do the unpopular thing and make changes, real changes. Fisher was too proud to admit that his guys weren't getting the job done.

You have to be impressed with how McCarthy has handled his team in GB. I also have a ton of love and respect for him with how he handled the Brett Favre soap opera. I like how he put his foot down and told Favre, "hey thanks for all you have done for this team in the past, but this is my team and we're rolling on without you".

4. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I'm just going to cut this off right here but can you please show me which of the 8 teams had more rushing attempts then passing attempts.

Now they may have been ranked higher but even though they ranked higher they still threw the ball more then they ran it. Lets say a team runs 50 plays in a game and passes the ball 30 times. The team they played ran 30 plays and only passes 15 times. Now team A had more rushing attempts then team B did but B 's attempts make up 50% of their offensive game plan where as A's running game makes up 40% of their game plan.

Are you seriously going to try and say that team A is a run first team even though the physically throw more then they run?

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

The Packers won that game last night because they came out and played very aggressively. McCarthy called ballsy plays and Rodgers threw the ball to well-covered receivers and managed to make it work. In short, they definitely didn't play scared.

It would be nice if the Titans could become that kind of team. If you're gonna lose, at least you can say you went down swinging. Fisher did a lot of things well, but he does not have that mentality and it ended up costing him.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. titanfan77

titanfan77 Starter

I've explained to a few friends that Fisher may have been a good coach at getting players to play fundamentally sound, but as far as a weekly game plan and philosophy to compete and win consistently it just wasn't there.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

While you may be right for the most part on this, the 2003 Steve McNair might disagree. Save your breath, I know McNair had close to a thousand yards fewer than Manning that year, and in Peyton's worst season, he still had more TD's than during McNair's MVP season. But that year we did have a QB on Peyton's level.

8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I've been saying we should switch to 3-4 a long, long time ago.

If this franchise wasn't completely oblivious to everything, we could've fired Fisher and Cecil immediately and brought in Wade to switch our D to 3-4.

9. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Tomlin and McCarthey both coach to win, not to lose! See the Big Ben play against the jets on 3 and 8 with 1.29 to go........fisher runs and punts, plays not to lose. Packers, Steelers, Pats, etc get a 10 point lead in the third quarter do not milk the clock and let the other team back in the game.......fisher does. Packers and steelers jets and bears bring pressure on defense on 3 rd and long, fisher does the mush rush and zone.

As far as the play calling goes, it is not the number of runs so much as the type of runs. CJ is a edge/speed runner, and fisher pounds a 190lb between the tackles like he is eddie george. CJ should never get over 15 to 18 carries but he should get 6 to 8 plays in the passing game. Coach to players strengths and do the things they do well. Fisher is the master of the square peg in the round hole.

Then when you get an excellent power back (Blount) that could do what Lendale but much better, Fisher cuts him and keeps Donnie Nickey. Those special teams coverage units are real special ( see alan lowry another coach they should have seen the door years ago). Fisher is not in the league with the elite coaches because he never makes adjustments. When is the last time you saw fisher change something at halftime and win a game because of a coaching change? I can not remember when. When you are doing something and it is not working change it! Fisher stays the course.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

It certainly wasn't.

As for for this fundamentally sound thing, that doesn't hold much water when you're among the leagues worst in penalties, and can't wrap up on tackles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar