Mawae on rookie contracts

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Clearly the changes that the owners would like to the CBA are all about money.

Creating a rookie contract cap could be key factor in accommodating both owners & the majority 'veteran' players demands as they try to come to a new agreement.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

It's gettiing to the point where you might want to trade away that high pick but the problem isn't that big because later rd picks make nothing.

What is amazing is that players drafted just one rd later make about 1/10 of that. Micheal griffin's deal was for something like $1.75M a year and he was just 14 picks down the line.

Vet players have to be POed when a rookie who has yet to step on the field make significantly more like roos' making $3M a year less than long but there are a lot of guys starting players in this league not even making a million a year.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Contract cap...

Once again the problem only really exists among the absolute top picks and at certain positions. The justification is there for ryan getting $11M a year when you consider that jay cutler a player taken 2 years earlier 7 picks later makes $8M a year.

With a total cap of $120M even an average QB is going to get $8-9M and all QBs taken that early are expected to start fairly soon.

You draft a guy like ryan to be a top 10 type QB or even top 5 and if he necomes that type of player that contract will be cheap in 4 years.

Interesting to note that roethlisberger just signed a new deal with the steelers for $12.75M a year so that is the model for what a top 10 QB makes.

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

My only issue with this (capping rookie contracts) is that it opens the door for an alternate league to steal top talent. You have to remember that players coming out of college are young, and have agents whispering sweet nothings into their ears.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I think the falcons made a huge mistake. Not only will Flacco be a better QB, but he probably won't get paid as much. The fact of the matter is that the falcons paid Ryan WAY too much money without even seeing him play. Stupid decision. Rookie contracts are a joke. You never know what's going to happen long term (injuries, suspensions, etc)...its a gamble. I don't have to mention a certain troubled CB that didn't really work out for us, do I?

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

That much money for first round picks will prompt more people to cheat, use performance enhancing drugs and get the best combine numbers they can, if there is that big a difference in pay for 1st and second round picks...

7. titansfan769

titansfan769 Starter

really good points by both feely and mawae. I mean it makes sense. A guy never stepped foot on NFL Turf is making more money then the games 2 best QB's. WTF is wrong with that. Sports now adays are becoming so corrupted by raising contract money. Look at baseball. Every single year players get paid more and more. When is it going to stop. Eventually people with the least bit of skill will be making 30 million a year. Its ridiculous. Football is getting the same way now. I can understand Ben Roethlisberger snagging up that huge contract. HES PROVEN, HES THE FACE OF THE FRANCHISE. But Matt Ryan? A Guy who hasnt taken one snap yet? Cmon 72 million is a bit ridiculous. The league has to do something to control this or everything is gonna crash down and somewhere down the line a strike could be in store for pro bowl veterans who are making 1/3 of wat a rookie is. BS!

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's a really great point, and if that new pro league comes out, I'm sure Mark Cuban would be all over trying to pay top dollar to steal a few huge names from the NFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar