Mawae Debate...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, May 29, 2008.

?
  1. Yeah, he's still got it...sign him for whatever it takes

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. Yeah, as long as he's willing to negotaite

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. No, its time to move on

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I think he's still got at least one more quality year left in him and I think he also helps vince a lot now. Being honest his skills at this point in his career are probably below average for a starting center but his experience helps a lot.

2. smili

smili Starter

I'm in no hurry to move on to another center. Mawae has been good for us at center, and probably good for the line overall given his work ethic and attitude. Clearly a step up from Hartwig imho.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think he will be here one more year. That gives us the opportunity to see how harris develops and if we need to draft a center next year. I don't see him playing effectively in 2009. He is already 37 and will start our first game this year at the age of 37 years and 7 months.

A good question because he could be a weak spot on this team and if he plays poorly don't expect him to come off the field..

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Good question...

I think the Titans think OC is one of the easier spots to replace. Mawae is not making outrageous money (thank goodness) but isn't cheap either. From a leadership/vet/locker room, he's excellent and he does have that nasty streak.

I don't think he's quite as quick as when he was with the Jets (but he doesn't have to be for our scheme). I agree that I think he's lost some strength. The Titans arguably could be looking to upgrade OC and OG (Amano) next year but they do have the luxury of seeing how the players and our backups perform this season. The Titans had opportunities to draft Mawae's replacement (as the Colts did) but chose not to.

It is possible we simply see Mawae finish his contract here through '09 too...

Gut

5. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

There's a good chance he retires when his contract runs out. He'll be about 40 by then.

6. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

well...he WAS our worst lineman last year, by a solid margin, too. Get rid of him.

7. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

He was good in year 1.

Last year he was ok.

This year he will be ???

Amano or Harris is the future...I hope Mawae is pretty decent this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar