Matt Cassell Traded to Chiefs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Coming out of highschool he was a blue chip qb. Top 8 for sure.

He played behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, both heisman trophy winners...therefore never getting his shot.

He came highly recommended to the Patriots. He was very close to being a Titan. Norm Chow was going to invite him to camp up until the point he was drafted. The talent was there. It had little to do with the combine. The kid was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It happens. But he was for sure talented. You just don't play at USC without talent.

The way I look at it, The Patriots basically had a 2-4 round talent on their team the whole time. He just never had a chance to prove it. So the Chiefs got lucky here. They have blue chip talent at qb and still own the top pick to boot.

The Cheifs didn't get a steal here, they paid for him, but he's worth it to me. They got a solid to pro bowl qb here.

2. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Rumors had it that he actually beat Leinhart out for the starting position until politics came into play.

Regardless this deal is a big plus for the Chiefs. Instead of using their 3rd overall on Stafford or someone they get a franchise QB and a proven LB for a single, low second round pick. What has Pioli have on Kraft? How could they give those two players up for so little?

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

i thought Matt singed with the Pats for 1 year, 16 million.

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Cassel and Vrabel for a 2nd rd pick??? HIGHWAY ROBBERY! anyone that thinks Stafford and Sanchez would be a better deal than getting Cassel for a 2nd rounder is smoking crack:) Please name which 2nd rounder is worth 16 mil for one year?

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Good points made by all. I do agree, Cassell's one year of NFL experience does trump college experience. And I also think the trade was of great value to the Chiefs.

However, I'm not sold on Cassell as great starting NFL Qb. I'm guessing the Chiefs will sign him to a long and expensive contract. In the Chiefs position, I would've considered a different direction. Perhaps Garcia or another free agent, of just go with Thigpen for another season. Keep and use the 2nd round pick.

I don't like Stafford, and I'm undecided on Sanchez, so I'm not suggesting that they should draft either of those guys.

In the Chiefs position, I'm not sure I'd want to make the big contract commitment to Cassell.

6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Garcia isn't the long term solution the Chiefs need and Thigpen was 1-10 as a starter.

7. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

How ironic is it that he goes to the Chiefs....the ones who injured Brady and gave him his chance

8. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Dwayne Bow should have a big year.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well you believe in Cassell more than I do. I'm not sure Cassell is the long term solution either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar