Martin impresses Titans with his strength, courage

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

TAMPA, Fla. The sight of Titans defensive tackle Mike Martin running down the field with his helmet off in the preseason opener at Seattle told coaches all they needed to know.

The 306-pound Martin was trying to catch a ball carrier downfield.

“I think he has a lot of courage,’’ defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said of Martin, the team’s third round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft. “But that is what you see every day with his helmet on. That is what you want a lot of football players to do – not with their helmet off – but you want effort from all your d-linemen.’’

Martin impressed those around him the first day of training camp when he benched pressed 315 pounds a total of 19 times, which tied for best on the team with center Eugene Amano.

Martin said he actually bench-pressed the same weight 26 times back in college at Michigan. At the NFL Combine, he did 225 pounds a whopping total of 37 times.

Martin, who has been impressive in practices, said his strength helps him fight off opposing offensive linemen.

“I am a real physical type of guy, I like to come downhill at guys,’’ Martin said. “So when it gets down to it, being able to throw guys around and be able to manhandle guys, having the strength is key.”

These days, Martin is working more on his technique. Gray said Martin is “strong, quick and disruptive.”

“You have to learn the technique and learn the little things the guys in the league know already,’’ Martin said. “It’s about getting comfortable out there and letting your talents flow.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Dude is a beast. The sacks and tackles will come soon, count on it.

3. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Can I book it?

4. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

sounds like a wizard of oz love story.

5. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

Amano had the highest bench on the team? Bull****

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Explains why we were 9-7 and not better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar