Mariota Performance Wasn't That Great...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by cozmicfool, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

Sorry for the misleading title. I personally thought his performance was exceptional. One that us Titan's fans have been missing for a long time. Whereas, I hope he continues his success moving forward and literally EVERYTHING we've seen from him to date suggest he will, it's hard to find fault in him other than lack of experience and some rookie woes.

However, a journalist on PFF attempted to suggest that Marcus was not that great against the Bucs. It's a short article but one of the passages that made me scream was:

"Mariota attempted just two passes that traveled 20+ yards in the air from scrimmage, and both were called back by penalty. Everything was either short (11 attempts under 10 yards) or intermediate (5), and as much a product of the defense he was facing as any fantastic skill on his part. 117 of the 209 yards he passed for came after the catch, as receivers made things happen with the ball in their hands, again highlighting how inept the Tampa Bay defense was in the game."

I read that and thought PFF just let anyone write anything. I mean that has to be one of the biggest contradictions ever. The fact that his two attempts 20+ yards were called back due to penalty shouldn't impact Marcus unless he caused the penalty for starters. But the biggest grip I had with the article is that its a negative that his WRs got so much YAC that attributed to his total yards. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that what you want? High percentage, delivered accurately, allowing YAC? In my opinion our WRs only had so much YAC because Marcus was throwing the ball.

Maybe it touched a nerve, maybe I'm just overly optimistic, it's certainly to early to crown the kid after preseason and one game, but I love the way he plays this game. Bottom line, non of our WRs ever had so much YAC when this team was QB'd by Young or Locker.

Read the full article here: Marcus Mariota good in NFL debut, but not great | ProFootballFocus.com

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

sounds like the exact same thing that makes horse beard-face in Indy god's gift to football from the same talking heads

• High Five High Five x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  3. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Agreed with everything you said except last part. The second stint with vy was different. He was one of the best deep ball throwers in the game.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I won't have the time to go back and watch the game like I want to, but I generally agree with them. I really wanted to put his pass attempts against a stopwatch to see how fast he was getting rid of the ball.

It was a very safe game plan. From what I remember everything was quick with easy reads.

The first play was play action and then an immediate dump off to Sankey, which he dropped.

Another play in the first drive was a pass out to Sankey that netted one yard.

The long play to Wright was reading the linebackers. If they come up to stop the run you throw it behind/over them. If they stay back and don't honor the run you hand it off.

The TD to Douglas was a one-read play. Every offense in the league runs that play from inside the five with the two receivers on the right, running quick crossing patterns. You're essentially just throwing to the guy whose defender gets picked.

The TD to Walker was similar. He comes off the line, turns at the goal line and the ball needs to be delivered. I remember seeing him expecting the ball to be there as he was turning, and it wasn't. Maybe the pass was a hair late.

The TD to Sankey was play action, Sankey leaks out to the flat and makes a play.

It looked like a very safe game plan, but he executed it very well.

edit: one "negative" stood out to me. I put quotes around negative because he fit the ball in there, but it was damn close. There was a pass to Walker over the middle of the field and it was amazing that no defender got a hand on it. A linebacker came buzzing in underneath Walker and the safety was all over his back. Fox showed the end zone view from the offense's perspective and there's really no way that ball should have made it through.

#4 Fry, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

How about it??? I'm like man let's be realist though, yeah it's too early to say he is the answer but you can't deny he's on the right track.
    Yeah, my main thing with VY was that he had a beautiful deep ball but for the most part he really didn't have the accuracy to throw intermediate routes in such a way that allowed WRs to gain YAC. I could be mis-remembering it though.

#5 cozmicfool, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

:biglaugh:
    :biglaugh:

7. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Exactly. This is the difference between being 'accurate' and being 'NFL accurate'.

Its one thing to hit your WR for a completed pass ... its another to put the ball in the precise spot for the WR to make a play.

Mariota already shows that he has 'NFL accuracy' ... and this is VERY hard to defend.

Mariota also has a very fast and very compact release ... this helps him to get the ball out quickly and hit those tight NFL windows.

Short passes and YAC are the bread and butter to guys like Tom Brady and Andrew Suck ... but none of the 'experts' seem to find fault with them. Plus, this was only 1 game, and MM only played 3 Qs (really he was basically shut down after the half). Long passes will come lol.

• High Five High Five x 3
  8. LosingBy3

LosingBy3 Starter

From what i saw it was a pass short, throw deep kinda plan.

Once they are watching the moddle, hit them deep on the side for big yards, that seems to be what they've been doing all preseason, too.

9. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

NFL Network said it won't statistically be counted as a perfect QB rating because you need a minimum of 20 attempts to qualify. Either way, my point isn't that he can't get better, but people love to find fault with who they hate and love to give passes for who they love.

Point taken, Winston. He's shown pretty much squat in the preseason, squat in his NFL debut (except garbage time), but yet the NFL still seems to think the kid will be great. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more for him to be great. However, I'm not seeing what everyone else is. He's was supposed to be more accurate then Marcus, that was one of the evaluations of him. However, in Preseason he completes less than 50% of his passes and did so again yesterday. At this point in time I feel like he is closer to that than a 60%-65% he should be all things considered.

Am I missing something?

10. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

I never really understood the Winston love to begin with.

Long windup, throws a lot of ints, not great footwork ... but he played in a pro-style offense, so he will automatically translate lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar