Marion Barber

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Big Time Titan, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Short memories?

In 2009 we were 2nd in total rushing yards and first in yards per attempt. That's all CJ!

Change of pace my :moon2:

Now after an off year were our line was not as good and CJ less than 100% we need to get a slow back to counter CJ's speed so we can somehow trick defenses?

The issue isn't to get a different RB but a better one. Another issue might be give Cj more relief so he can stay fresh but Ringer can do that, he can give you 4 yards a carry while CJ rests.

This whole thread is about short memories from the Titans perspective and a lack of short memories when talking about Barber. So we take Barber from 2007 and look at our running game last year. Why not take Barber 2010 and compare him to CJ 2009?

Barber is Eddie George circa 2003 isn't he? Eddie was about 28 when he began to decline. Barber will be 28 in june.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Got these comments off of roto...

Cowboys see him ONLY as a big back type not a feature back any longer. He was "ineffective" in short yardage so what is the point?

His average ranking on football outsiders DYAR was 25 the last 3 seasons, 36 in 2010 after being ranked 3rd in both 06 and 07. That's a hard fall. Based on football outsiders main stat DYAR(Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement) Barber was a -21 which means he performed worse than an average bench guy. CJ was 18, Ringer was 25.

Hey Alex check out Thomas Jones, 2nd worst back in the league!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

3. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I think we just need somebody better than Ringer. He can't hit the hole fast enough and doesn't have enough explosion through the line. We need a new backup, hopefully S Johnson can produce.

I'd like to see us get a mid weight or scat back with good vision and quickness. Get somebody who's quick like CJ so we can interchange them without having to give away our playcalling.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's like you are looking at the running back position like its the 1980s. In today's NFL the change of pace running back by committee style is the way the game is going.

Thomas Jones style is different than Charles. Having different style running backs makes the game more difficult for the opposing defense. Yes it does keep Charles fresh. It should give Charles career longevity. Yes Jones did pave the way for Charles season for those reasons.

No Ringer could not. You have no basis for that claim.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

lol. you probably think Charles average would remain the same if he had every carry that Jones had last season.

Watch the games. It was obvious what Thomas Jones did for KC last year. It's what we need to complement CJ and preserve his career.

Since you love stats, Thomas Jones had the 20th most yards rushing last year. But I guess that's meaningless and it's all about replacement yards? :lol:

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I think it's safe to say that we can all manipulate stats to prove whatever we want them to. That said, I still want Barber. I'll be supportive of Ringer if we ride with him as our #2 but I will say that I'm not totally sold on him as our backup.

I'm also open to bringing in Ronnie Brown or Mike Tolbert so I'm not just pulling sh!+ out of my @$$ and trying to knock Ringer.

7. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Why are people even mentioning Ronnie Brown? Number one, he's still considered a top back in the league. Number two, he'll want millions. Now don't go thowing out stats and stuff to defend why he is a #2, he had his place and he did it well. He played on a lesser team and split carries with Ricky Williams. Ronnie Brown is not even a possibilty for us.

8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Funny to think that Ronnie Brown is a top back and Barber isn't. Their stats are almost identical and Brown has more carries over the past 2 seasons. Brown is 2 years older than Barber and has been injured more than Barber. So I'd say that Barber is just as good as Brown if not better. I'd be stoked to get either of them. I don't see why it's such a crazy idea to consider these guys.

9. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

When Brown is actually healthy, which isn't often. He's twice the back Barber is at this point in his career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar