Mariani at WR?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by gran54, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

I like the idea, sort of a poor man's WW.

2. Blue Gorilla

Blue Gorilla will play Safety for food

Mariani made the Pro Bowler as a ROOKIE. If we can educate this guy on how to make plays in offensive sets and the gaps to look for, just like he makes plays on the kickoff return set, he can be a diamond in the rough. The challenge is the transition part. Traditionally, your superstar kickoff returners don't necessarily translate well into offensive firecrackers. DeSean Jackson would be your exception, but I don't think he returns kicks, only punts. I look at Devin Hester (unfair to compare because he has a CB background), Leon Washington, Eddie Royal... none of those guys have had stellar offensive careers.

Let's try and give Mariani the opportunity to be the exception to the rule.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

D. Will is the guy that's going to break out this season at WR for us. Mariani has a vital role already in our success. In 2008 when Carr was setting us up with great starting field position, we won 13 games. So IMO the team knows the importance of a good fresh KR. D. Will was a much earlier pick, he's going to get a chance first.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Mariani isn't a moron who just fell off the turnip wagon. He has played WR before you know. He was the leading WR statistically in last years pre-season. He played WR in college....
    2008 .... 69 passes for 1,308 yards and 15 touchdowns
    2009 .... 80 passes for 1,479 yards and 13 touchdowns

They don't have to "educate" him anymore than educating most rookie WRs.
    Where do you come up with this stuff?

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

Mariani had one of the sickest catches in football history at Montana.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6ssfh9fk_TE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Blue Gorilla

He played D-2 ball... Although he did win a national championship (I think), his level of competition is nowhere near what it is now.

He was a good WR, I'm not taking that away from him. But our offensive coaching staff is going to have to teach him our system (along with every other WR, you're right... it's not just him moreso than anyone else), but he has to learn where there will be seams and holes in the plays that we'll have designed for him. Leon Washington and Eddie Royal were good offensive players in college as well, as well as in the NFL. But they aren't breakout playmakers on offense.

My point is that success in the kickoff return game doesn't automatically translate into success in the offense. Mariani has potential. I want to see it happen, and I think it can, but I don't think we can accept the concept that "since he is good at returning, he should see success as our slot WR as well." Can't put that pressure on him.

7. JCBRAVE

Marc Mariani is one of few guys I'd be worried about, he's a good receiver, might even have the best hands on the team.

8. Blue Gorilla

I agree. I wanna see him succeed. We need him in the slot.

9. Some_guy

Some_guy Practice Squad

If a retard like Britt can learn the system I wouldn't worry too much about Mariani

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Yea but we have to show him (very slowly because remember he was D-2) where the seams and holes are......

There are plenty of D2 guys who end up playing WR in the NFL and in fact if you come from D2 you have more chance of playing in the NFL if you are a WR than any other position (Nate Washington is from Tiffin University). Vincent Jackson learned the seams and holes pretty well coming from Northern Colorado. Just because the level of competition isn't near as high these guys were still playing football. Like I said they aren't football retards. Football is football and you would think returning kicks would be just as much of a transition as playing WR. So far Mariani has done more than a whole host of duds we drafted to play WR over the years based on his pre-season work. We had a 3rd round pick, Paul Williams, who didn't have a clue at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar