Marcus Mariota Through 20 Games

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by UnknownHinson, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

At this point in his young career, Marcus Mariota has now started 20 full games, excluding the patriots game in which he played a few snaps before being injured. I was curious how his stats through 20 games compared to some of the better passers around the league, so I made up a spreadsheet and a few graphs. Maybe it will be interesting to you guys, maybe it will just look like a jumbled mess of numbers, I dunno.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Major Takeaways:

The 8 QBs I examined beyond Mariota: Brady, Luck, Rodgers, Newton, Wilson, Carr, Ryan, Rivers.

When comparing Mariota's stats to these QBs, it is pretty obvious that Mariota's statistics compare favorably with everyone. Mariota leads in a few important categories, but is also among the worst in a few others.

Of note, Mariota leads all of these QBs in TDs through 20 games with 36. Second was Rodgers (who sat behind Brett Favre for 3 seasons), with 34. Mariota is also tied for the third highest TD:INT ratio, and ranks 3rd in Passer Rating through 20 games. Mariota's Yards Per Rush is also very impressive, at 7.1, around 1.5 yards more than Newton.

Then we come to the major knock on Marcus so far in his career. Fumbles, fumbles, fumbles.... I personally believe that Marcus will continue to improve with his ball skills in the pocket, and more carefully pick his running spots. However, if you look at the graph for fumbles through 20 games, you will see that Marcus is not alone in his fumbling issue. He does have more fumbles than any of the other QBs, with 16, but 5 of the other 8 quarterbacks had 12+ fumbles each. Brady came in second with 14 while winning a super bowl, and Rivers had 13.

In the 2013-2015 seasons, Tom Brady had 21 fumbles through 48 regular season games, and Rivers had 15 through 48 games. Take from that what you will, but it goes to show both that QBs can improve on that issue and that you can win games despite it (TB12 SB run).

I think Mariota will be just fine and lead us to many many future Titan wins! But see for yourselves, he doesn't look too bad.

#1 UnknownHinson, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • High Five High Five x 4
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

See how this looks, cause your graphics aren't easy to read

Mariota.png

3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

• High Five High Five x 6
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Yes they can

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

Don't worry dudes, I fixed it

7. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

One thing I think we have to account for in any discussion of Mariota vs. the top QBs in the league are the defenses he's facing.

Mariota has feasted on some horrible defenses.

I'm not saying he won't someday but it skews the context of these stats, IMO, when he's killing it mostly against defensive bottom-feeders.

9. UnknownHinson

UnknownHinson Starter

I agree with this statement for sure. That, unfortunately, is a little harder to track. But, I did a quick look at Tom Brady's first 20 games, using the 2001 season defensive averages as reference since 19 of his games were played that season. And, his best performances of the season were vs San Diego (364 yds, 2 TDs), Indy (202 yds, 3 TDs), Atlanta (250 yd, 3 TDs), New Orleans (258, 4 TD), Oakland (312 yds, 0 td, 1 INT), Buffalo (237 yds).

Those teams were ranked 13th, 29th(Indy, twice a year), 30th, 18th, 19th, and 21st (buffalo, twice a year). Most of his other games are all below 215 yds and less than two touchdowns. He didnt exactly go out and play the '01 steelers every week. Although he did beat them in the playoffs while throwing 115 yds and 0 tds, 0 ints... Somehow.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Then it may be that most young QBs go to crappy teams who play mostly other crappy teams so they all feasted on them.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar