Mallett over Gabbert

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by chamgel2, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

First let me clarify something about Mallett...there are many rumors flying around about his character, including cocaine abuse. If these are true, then obviously he is completely off our draft board. His character will be highly questioned throughout the process, so come April we should have a better idea about what to believe.
    As far as looking at them on the field, it's not close in my opinion. Mallett has shown top 15 talent on the field, Gabbert hasn't. Mallett can make all the throws, and make them accurately. Mallett played in a pro-style offense, and goes through progressions better then Gabbert. He still needs work at this, but he has at least shown an ability to go to his 2nd read. He also has much more pocket presence then Gabbert has. In my opinion, the only thing that Gabbert has over Mallett is his mobility.
    I can go one of two ways with Mallett, he is a QB with a lot of fire. Whether that fire is more like Rivers or Leaf is what has to be determined. What I do know, is as a QB, he is a much better prospect then Blaine Gabbert.

2. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Physically I agree with you. Mallet has good mechanics and an amazing arm but if even half the stuff they are saying about him is true then he is not worth the risk.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

I agree 100%...have even said he is completely off my board at the moment due to the rumors.

4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Until I see Mallett doing a line of booger sugar and holding two forms of identification on the cover of US Weekly, I will reserve the right to call this rumor BS.

Also, I'd like to say that I don't like Mallett, I just don't think there's truth to every rumor.

5. emong

emong Rookie

Mallet also played against the best defenses in the country so he is a better choice

6. dtm586

dtm586 The Master Jedi

I am not high on on either two but Gabbert according to most sources and mock drafts will go somewhere in the 1st round while Mallet can slide to 2nd and even 3rd rounds because of character issue and slow mechanics. Gabbert has more scrambling ability and even though he doesnt have the tall frame as Mallet, I would feel more comfortable with Gabbert as the QB of the future over Mallet thats assuming Tennessee even goes that direction ...

Walterfootball.com one of the best mockdraft and college info sites out there year in and year out as this to say about Ryan Mallet- "Mallett has major red flags. In addition to these "off-field concerns," he's a moron who may score single digits on his Wonderlic (even if they give him five points for spelling his name correctly). His release is painfully slow (think Byron Leftwich). He has no mobility. And he has the same sense of entitlement as Matt Leinart and Jimmy Clausen."

ones mans opinion certainly ... but something tells me I dont want him wearing blue.

7. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

With Fisher gone now, if Reinfeldt picks a QB (any QB available) with our #8 pick it will be looked upon as the decision that costed him his job (when he gets fired later).

Ryan Leaf/Alex Smith part 2 IMO....

8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

How about neither?

That would work.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Skill set alone I'd probably take Mallet over Gabbert.
    Neither is worth taking in the first half of the first round.

10. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Well said, and I agree...my post wasn't an endorsement to take Mallett at #8. It was more proving why Gabbert shouldn't be taken there either. His on the field performance is not worthy of a top 10 pick, not top 15 either for that matter.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar