Main Difference Between VY/Locker And Mariota is Intelligence

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Been seeing a lot of comparisons lately between VY,Locker and Mariota. Sure VY and Locker were both similar to Mariota in that they were all gifted physically. VY and Locker were supposedly dual threat QB's in college but in the pros they mostly ran but weren't good pocket passers. Mariota is a dual threat as well but mainly a pocket passer who runs occassionally.

However the biggest and boldest difference between Mariota and VY/Locker is the fact that Mariota is way smarter and it is also the main reason Mariota will succeed in the long run where VY and Locker both failed.

I think VY and Locker both tried to get by mainly on their physical gifts which worked in college but doesn't in the NFL. When you get to the biggest stage you not only have to have it physically but if you don't have the mental part down you'll eventually fail which is what i think happened to VY and RG3 after their first season the league figured them out.

If you can't read defenses and don't learn the playbook your not gonna be a good QB. This is why i think Mariota will succeed is he has it physically but also mentally. He has intelligence,memory and recall which will bode well for him in the future.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Rudad

Rudad Starter

The other thing he is a very hard worker and does it for the team. He is very humble and down to earth. The team is first.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

Good example. We know VY was lazy and didn't want to study film and of course Locker couldn't stay healthy enough to do much as most of his time was rehabbing from whatever injury was ailing him at the moment. Both VY and Locker when you look back there are red flags for each one. With Mariota there is nothing there but positive things. He is gifted mentally as well as physically and with his work ethic and humble nature i don't see how Mariota doesn't succeed.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The main difference is 2 of them have played in the NFL and failed, the other has yet to take a snap.

• High Five x 6
    • Winner x 4
    • LOL x 1
    • Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target x 1
  5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I think Locker failed because 1. he couldn't stay healthy and 2. he wasn't very good.

VY was his own undoing, although I'm not sure he would have been anything more than Jake Plummer.

6. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Lol saying locker wasn't smart is pretty short sighted. Lockers biggest issues were injuries and accuracy. Sure he missed the blitz pickup from time to time...

But he had to play within what he could physically do. Out routes, curls and come backs... Hash throws to the outside. Bucket throws weren't his thing. He was best on timing routes and net throws. Couldn't hit a moving target. Has accuracy issues in the pocket from poor mechanics with his lead foot. Would over step and sail passes. Better On the move.

Mentally the game wasn't too big for him. His body wasn't built for the abuse. His precision wasn't good enough. Those were his fatal flaws.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Must....resist....comment....to move this to taboo.......

• LOL LOL x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Rudad

Rudad Starter

Locker was billed the opposite of VY. Good work ethic, good young man, etc. etc. yes the flags were there in college but munch was so determined to take one not like VY. Kind of like when a woman marries a bad guy. He good looking and if he loves me I can change him to my dream guy. Well locker couldn't be changed he was still hurt and still not accurate .

9. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

You said but munch. Lol. @520 is very familiar with this.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What makes you think Young wasn't smart? The Wonderlic? Maybe. But there's been some pretty dumb QBs who have been successful in the NFL.

His main issue was dedication. He wasn't willing to do what was needed to be as good as he needed to be.

What makes you think Locker wasn't smart? His issue was staying healthy.

You can say some of his injuries were due to him not being smart but I chalk it up to competitiveness — a trait a QB must have.

It's possible Mariota will have one or both issues. Revisit this thread in 2017 and we'll begin to know some answers.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar