mac vs pc help

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Fry, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

I've used both. I am full mac now. I would say the biggest plus is how the computer runs say, a year from now. I have an ibook laptop that is probably 5 years old that runs circles around my wife's year old HP desktop. Not that is is more powerful or anything, but the HP is so gunked down with virus protection and the like, that it takes forever to boot up, runs slow, crashes and is a headache in general. We have gone thru I don't know how many wireless adapters to get a good signal from our network, yet the ibook can get the signal across the street in my neighbors backyard. It is a little tank. I know have 3 macs and love them. The downside is they are different. Honestly the #1 problem I had with the switch was the simplicity. How do you get programs off? Just throw them away. How do you set up wireless? Turn on airport. Don't I need to defrag? Nope. That was the #1 thing to wrap my head around.

I've tried to get my dad to switch, but honestly why waste time teaching him a new way of doing things when he just got used to Windows. Heck, he has a new imac and runs windows on it. He complains how slow it is and why does it lock up...have to explain to him that a imac with windows, is a pc.

My vote is for Mac, but I am biased. Good luck!

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I take an iBook (1ghz / G4) with me on the road
    it works well with iTunes, VLC, iPhoto and most multi-media web sites
    I still use it at home sometimes when I'm away from my desk
    it chugs along sometimes, but is reliable when I ask it to be

no mechanical failures of any sort that we are aware of

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

some people just can't grasp change
    their is nothing difficult or strange about 0SX and I think that scares people ....
    because theirs no incoherent "Start" button and the desktop icons are on the right. and
    OMG !!! wth is that Dock thing ?
    where is the 'run' prompt ? so I can go run MSCONFIG ? where is the Disk Defragmenter ?
    where is ViruScan ? :ha:
    where are all the little shield icons ?
    I'm looking for something but can't find it at C: / win / user /betty / boop / desktop / documents / files / program files / EA / EA Sports / Madden / etc.. / whatever

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

that's something i could update on the system like a firmware update on a ps3 though, isn't it?

5. Yes and no. You can update it, but it's probably not a free one. It's a new version of the OS so I assume it will cost you money to buy it. Normally it's about $130 to buy the OS, though they haven't said anything yet on date or price.

It's basically comparable to upgrading from XP to Vista (ignoring the suckyness).

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You need help? You mean those PC vs Mac ads didn't sway you?

7. Fry

i'm surprised this thread didn't turn into one big pc vs mac ad...

i did go to the Apple store today and fooled around with a macbook. as far as i could tell there wasn't a whole lot of difference in the stuff i would do with a pc, but i think it would be nice not having to spend like $90 on virus scan and spyware software.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Why would you anyway with a PC? Plenty of free ones out there anyway.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

If you play any cpu games, then I think you need to go pc. If you don't play cpu games and don't plan to in the future, then disregard.

10. Fry

the free ones don't do seem to do ****. i can run three different ones successively and then do the first one again and it will find more infections than it originally did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar