M is for McNair

Discussion in 'Memorabilia' started by titanbuoy, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

This sweet one of a kind patch card arrived in the mail today.

Steve McNair 06 Flair Showcase Lettermen #'d 1/6
    [​IMG]

It's cut from a game used jersey nameplate. They made 6 cards, one for each letter. I got the M! (don't ask how much it cost me) I love the fact that it's from an old Oilers jersey, I'm sure there will never be another Oilers nameplate issued for McNair. It sucks that he's pictured as a Raven though.

A few others arrived also...

Lendale White 06 Topps Turkey Red Box Topper (big card...app 8"X6")
    [​IMG]

Vince 06 Turkey Red (red bordered parallel version)
    [​IMG]

Calvin Lowry 06 Leaf Limited Monikers Auto #'d 19/25
    [​IMG]
  2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ® Tip Jar Donor

Even I as a non collector would love to have that.

What's with the Lendale card,it looks kind of photo shopped
  3. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

oh dude thoes are nice. that would be awesome if u could get the C N A I R
    That Calvin Lowry is awesome. I kno u probably have to many to do it but can u take a pic of some of ur cards?
  4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

The Turkey Red cards are kind of odd. The player images are superimposed on a stylized background photo of an empty stadium. It's meant to be a homage to old cards of the 30's. I think there was an old baseball set called Turkey Red. I'm not sure if it's simply because it's oversized or if they just didn't do a good job on the photoshopping but LenDale's card does look a bit more obviously superimposed than most of the others (more than the Vince below it for example).

I've posted a bunch of my cards in various threads on this forum, check em out. I'd love to get the other letters and chances are I could get a few, but as they're all one of a kind cards, it'd be really pricey and in all likelihood despite my best efforts at least one of the letters would manage to evade me for one reason or another.
  5. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

And I'm sure the people with the other five letters are thinking the same thing
  6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Yao

7. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

K as in "strikeout"
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Yao

Yeah, but clearly he does not wear that on his jersey. Which makes you wonder what the deal is with all the other letters.
  9. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I don't collect baseball (or follow it that closely for that matter), but in some of the football sets from this past seasons letter patches were offered in both the game used and non-game used variety. The McNair patch in the OP is a game used letter patch (which is why it is a one of a kind item). Others like the Young and White "Donruss Threads" autographed letters featured in other threads on this board are non game-used autographed letter patches. In the case of the Threads product they had the players sign 20 of each letter in their name (still pretty cool, and rare, but not game used). In another product the card's producers had the players sign letters that spell out NFL ROOKIE... so you could pull a Reggie Bush autograph on a letter K (which to me is just odd).

As I said I'm not a baseball collector but I'd guess that the Clemens card is from a similar non game-used letter patch set. Unless Roger ever had the name Rocket on the back of his jersey (even if only once... then you never know). I'm sure it would say on the back of the card if it was game used.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.