M. Hoge on espnews...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titan Yapper, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I think/hope we'll start to see some changes. Unless we run the table, people will keep making excuses. Next season he'll have a shot at some real recognition.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

that's what I want. that's a good thing.

3. Treadhead6

Treadhead6 Peanut Gallery

Merril Hoge? Sounds like idiot to me...

Merril Hoge, washed up former Steeler fullback turned ESPN analyst, has again demonstrated his total disrespect, disdain, hatred (call it what you will) for Vince Young. Yesterday on The Blitz he was offering his "expert" analysis of yet another come from behind victory led by the Titans rookie QB. He couldn't even get his words out without stumbling one over the other because of his eagerness to point out how we shouldn't think Vince is any good. He'd rather us believe that it's the Titans' system - that an oversimplification of the offense by the coaching staff is why Vince is suddenly flourishing. According to MH, Vince can't read defenses, is very inaccurate (even referring to the Giants game as an example - did he watch that game?), and that Young will not be considered one of the elite QBs 3-years from now. MH was visibly bristling with disgust at even the possibility of Vince Young being a major part of the Titans' recent success. Ask him, he'll tell you that it's the defense, coaching, fans, the janitor in the stadium, Bud Adams, T-Rac... anything but VY.

Now here's where MH demonstrates how much disrespect he has for VY. After slam-dunking VY he immediately started praising Tony Romo. He gushed about TR's "poise" in the final drive against the Giants. Then he went on to compare TR to John Elway - as in putting him in the same elite few that have that rare ability to make one pass that changes a game. Uh..... that's funny MH. Isn't VY the QB that replaced JE on the NFL's alltime greatest 4th quarter comebacks for a rookie QB? Oh but wait... Isn't VY the only rookie QB in NFL history to lead back-to-back comeback victories that overcame 14 point (or more) deficits?

Merril Hoge you are a total idiot. It may be possible that you got your bell rung one too many times in the Oilers' "House of Pain". Whatever your problem, you need to start actually watching the Titans games like the rest of us.

4. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Actually Hoge is pretty accurate. If Vince didn't have his great ability to run, we would not be winning games. Have you seen Vince check down out of any play at the line yet? Even if teams are in an 8 man front he just runs the play. That is why so many runs get stuffed. I have posted this before, but I think Vince runs many times because he just doesn't have the confidence to get the ball to the receiver, but he does believe in his legs. Now before you start the "hater" comments, I think Vince is going to be a good if not great QB, but it's just too soon to tell. He will have to learn to read coverages, and become a better passer. Right now his style is new, and most DC's don't know how to account for him. I am not sure they ever will be able to shut his runs down completely. He throws just well enough to keep defenses honest, but this has to be improved before next year. He is still sailing passes over receivers heads, and that has to stop. That being said, I realize he is a rookie, and has accomplished far more than most rookies in this league, considering he took over a team that was not very good at the time.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Vince is pass first, run second.

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

He ran 9 times yesterday...you are telling me that on 9 different plays we never had a receiver open?

7. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

That is what people always say about Vic. Some how some way the run is going to be stopped. Then he post 170 yards on a team. Did those teams not get the game plan to stop him. VY is a better passer and does not keep his head down when he is behind the line. As his ability to read the defense increases and his confidence in his arm increases he will get better and an 8 man in the box scheme will mean nothing.

And you mentioned our run game being stuffed. Travis Henry is averaging 92 yards per game in the last 4. You and my idea of "stuffed" are way different. Houston now that is a team that is getting it's run game stuffed.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

minus the times the pocket collapsed.

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Also Merril Hodge is a boob :yes:

10. zackmann

zackmann Guest

it wouldn't surprise me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar