looking for a guitar

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fry, Apr 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i've been wanting to learn for a while and i havent had the money. i finally have enough and was wondering what electric guitar would be good for newb. i dont want to spend 90 bucks on a piece of crap, then have to go spend 250 on something better once i improve.

my range is about 240.

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

3. avvie

If you mean acoustic guitars, I recommend Alvarez.

http://www.guitarstop.com/Alvarez/RD20S.htm

Both my 6 and 12-stringers are Alvarez. They just sounded better than any other brand in my local store, and they're cheap. Years later, i'm still banging away on it.

4. smili

smili Starter

In electrics, Yamaha makes good value guitars, that play very well. Buy used - especially if you don't know how to play yet. Used guitars sell for about half of new ones, and most folks take care of their guitars pretty well so lots of nice used instruments are around. You can get electrics that play very well pretty cheap. Again, Yamaha seems to be the best value in my view, and I like the feel of the fretboard better than some other brands.

In acoustics, $240 won't get you anything very good, but I'd recommend used here also. The higher dollar acoustics play so much better than the cheap ones. Larivee or Taylors would be my recommendation there, but that's a much higher price point.

IF you're in Nashville check out Nashville Used Music for a great selection of used stuff
    http://www.mwcamerica.com/num/

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

cant go past one of these babies.

[​IMG]

6. avvie

Yep, used is definately the better value, as long as you know what it is you're shopping for.

I'd suggest taking someone who knows about guitars around to pawn shops and used gear stores with you. Pawn shops do no maintainance, so their selection is usually covered in dust and rust, and may have scratchy electronics.

Strings make all the difference in the world. A good guitar will feel like crap if it has rusty strings.

7. avvie

DUDE! Can you play "Eruption"??

Edit: This afternoon I found this 12-year-old girl who can.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

9. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

The Squier is basically the lowest end Fender Strat. Personally, I think the Ibanez is a little better guitar, but I'm sure I wouldn't have to look too hard to find someone to argue about it with. If you've never played before and you are just starting, you'll be so busy learning chords and licks that you probably won't be able to tell much difference.

Guitar choice is important, and I applaud you for spending time researching, but at this point the most important thing is 30 minutes a day of dedicated practicing and a good teacher.

A Squier or an Ibanez would be fine as a starter guitar to learn on. Pick the one you think looks better and start jammin' :winker:

10. avvie

Two things at play here:
    1--it's a matter of feel, like your friend said. But I'm guessing that, at this point, you really don't know the difference in neck radius' enough to know if it will effect your playing.

2-There is a drastic difference in the SOUND of the Squier and the Ibanez. See the pickup at the bridge of the Strat? It's a single-coil...much thinner sounding. Switch position 2 will make the 1st and second pickups out of phase with each other, for a trebly, bell-like tone (The Fixx "Saved By Zero")...also a great tone for country music. 4th position does the same thing with the middle and bridge pickups for a very bluesy tone.
    Both Ibanez that I posted have a dual-coil humbucking pickup at the bridge position. It's a thicker, heavier sound that eliminates hum (hence the name). This is what you want if you're getting into rock or metal...the gain is higher to help drive distortion.
    The one at Zzounds has 2 humbuckers...this is the arrangement made famous by the Gibson Les Paul....definately a heavy rocker or, with both pickups on, a great jazz sound.
    All three have a good blues tone using only the bridge pickup.
    What style are you wanting to play?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar