Lombardi

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by SawdustMan, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

http://www.hbo.com/sports/lombardi/index.html

HBO doc on the legendary coach. Anyone else catch it? I watched it tonight and thought it was very well done. I think any football fan should enjoy it. A couple of interesting tidbits that stuck out to me:
    - He never had a losing season.
    - While coaching High School football he was asked to also coach the basketball team. Knowing next to nothing about the sport he went to the library and checked out a book about basketball coaching. The team went on to win the state championship.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Lombardi was the greatest motivator among all coaches.

I read jerry Kramer's "right guard" several times, a journal of the 1967 season Lombardi's last as packer coach. The players hated his guts for yelling at them all the time and working them so hard but they would also take a bullet for him. That's not easy to achieve.

Lombardi ran the whole show. He drafted and signed players and he negotiated the contracts. Back then players didn't normally have agents and Lombardi did not consider having representation as the manly honorable thing. When his center Jim Ringo showed up with a lawyer Lombardi excused himself for a few minutes and when he came back he told Ringo he was talking to the wrong people since he had just been traded to the Eagles.

The Eagles were the last team anybody wanted to play for back then they were terrible.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

DAMN IT! I meant to see this on HBO, and I missed it! Anyone know when it may come back on???? I don't want to go to see it on Broadway, too many sick people on the train these days.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I clicked that link posted above and it looks like I might be able to catch it tonight. Hope I'm home.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

[​IMG]

Oh yes. It happened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar