Loga Ryan, CB Pats

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titans1839, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Packers never draft Aaron Rodgers if they drafted by your logic. It's not that black and white. Lots of variables but BPA absolutely works.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

When you have an older qb, drafting his replacement towards the bottom of round 1 isn't a problem. So yes, the Packers may have drafted Rodgers using my logic.

Or when you have a LT that has one year left and you draft his replacement a year early...that is smart. But these moves take strategy and how to build/reload the team into account. BPA does not...which is why no NFL team currently drafts that way....at least not the good teams!

BPA is a term fans like to banter about. Only problem is...it's wrong.

So answer the same question. If the best player on our board at 5 is a QB, should we draft him??? If you truly believe in BPA, your answer is yes. If you don't, your answer is no. What is your answer?

3. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Of course there is stipulations and certain scenarios when you deviate from the BPA mindset. When you have a franchise QB in his prime obviously you aren't going to take a QB but that is literally one of the only times. When you have a bona fide superstar at a position and that position just so happens to coincide with the BPA on your board deviating from it would be acceptable. However I have to imagine this happens very few times and teams have played out various scenarios where this happens and what plan of action they would take should it arise. We have I would argue only two positions that would be off the board in round 1 which is tackle and QB. Both weak positions this year so the probability that we come across a situation where one of those two positions might be rated the highest on our board would be very unlikely. We can use an upgrade at virtually every position otherwise. So if a stud is there you take him. You don't go well we really need a CB and reach hard and then he never panned out and you're back at square one anyway when you could have had more of a sure thing at a position even if it wasn't the most dire need on this team.

4. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Would the BPA camp be happy with Fournette @ 5 and Dalvin Cook @ 18? Then maybe grab Kamara and/or Mixon on Day 2?

• LOL LOL x 1
  5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I think the goal of every GM in FA is to try and get your team in a position that they can draft BPA. That means that you fill your gaping holes in FA if you can. If you get to this position then it allows you complete flexibility in the draft. You can trade down because you don't have to have a certain player....you can draft someone that you think is a great value and let them sit behind a starter because you can. Getting top the point where you can draft BPA does not mean that you blindly draft from your rankings. You always have to take into account the strength and weaknesses of the draft to allow yourself to take advantage of those areas of strength.

Personally ranking players in a linear fashion of 1-300 is really ridiculous.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I don't think anyone says you should take the absolute best player available and completely disregard of what you already have on your team.

The point is that maybe you have a glaring need at CB, but you also could use a LB. Your pick comes and the best LB in the draft is available. The LB you currently have is serviceable, but this rookie LB is an absolute stud. Your corners are ABYSMAL, but the corner group is deep and there's no clear superstar. What do you do?

Some people feel like you should stop the bleeding of a major wound first. I tend to ascribe to the "playmaker" theory, that you're better off getting the super talented guy at a position that isn't as needed, as a decent guy at another position. Then you just continue to plug mediocre talent in to the position that's really bad till you either find something that works or find a great player at that position in another draft.

It's all theory though, and it doesn't work every time.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

If you deviate from BPA, then the strategy is NOT BPA. If you're gonna deviate because of strength at a position and positional strength or lack thereof changes your strategy - you don't have BPA as a strategy.

So if JRob thinks Dalvin Cook is BPA at #5, do you think he should take him?

I'm not suggesting we draft players based on need at a position. One could make a strong argument that we did that last year with Conklin as most teams don't draft a RT in the top 10, let alone give up a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder to get him.

The one thing we agree on is you need to get studs...especially in round 1!

But I don't think you're too far off from my mindset. Match the best players at positions of need (or positions that can be seriously upgraded) at the right value! As I've been saying for years (and JRob is now saying)...draft picks are currency. You want to get the players you want at the right price.

8. titans1839

titans1839 Starter

So yeah...this Logan Ryan guy would be a good get for us. Strong player.

• LOL LOL x 3
  9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Few teams are to the point that they don't have glaring weakness(es). We spent 2 second round picks on 'backup' players at RB and OLB while not having much in the secondary. And where are we now...say issue at CB we've had for YEARS! We'll cut JRob some slack since he's had 1 season to evaluate.

But you have to look at the strengths of free agency AND the draft and figure out the best way to use your currency (money, players and draft picks) to build the best team you can. Taking players to sit for a year or two depends on the situation. If you have two ot's on the verge of retirement, taking one the year before that happens is smart. But smarter is to fix the major holes on the team!

No team ranks players 1-300. Each of them gets a grade which further breaks them into rounds. Then they are broken up by position on the board and the only time they are really stacked if in the same round and in the same position.

10. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Yep you missed it. The whole thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar