Limewire/iTunes help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Tru Blu, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I understand the artists point of view completely but getting the government involved is only going to make things worse for everyone. Infact, its going to be harder for you to promote your band in the future if net neutrality passes. I feel that more creative means need to be established than the antiquated business model of traditional media.

For example: With the invention of the ipod and other personal music devices and why would anyone use a CD? In 20 years, we might look at CDs just like we look at 8-tracks. I don't even use CDs in my car anymore and haven't for a year or two now.

The largest music distributor in America is walmart. Walmart edits all of their CDs. Who wants to buy an edited CD? Why should walmart tell me what i can and can't listen to.

Then theres the fact that I even have to go to walmart, wait 20 minutes in line to check out (Have you seen the geniuses that operate the UScan.. They take more time than what they are worth) Not to mention, driving to walmart, parking, etc etc. Then lets say walmart doesn't have the CD you want... So you go to fye or tower records, and shell out $25 on a CD where the artists don't even make 10% of that sale if they are on a major label.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most bands and artists make the most money by going on tour. Do you think illegal file sharing has helped or hurt a bands live shows? Most likely, it's helped. I doubt many people say, "Well, I would just rather sit at home and listen to..." than actually go to the show.

Lets say they do shutdown illegal torrents on the internet. I just had my buddy bring over his terrabyte hard drive full of music, movies, ebooks, software... How is the government going to stop that? They can't. That's why I think the music industry needs to adapt and form a new business model. As much as I love the internet and what it can offer us in the comfort of our own homes, I feel that it's gotten a free pass on the negative impact that it's created on our economy.

2. World Peace

I believe this is important. How do you promote your band? Most bands have a myspace. Do you think more people will see your band if they have to pay for a package to see myspace? Most will opt away from that plan thus never getting an opportunity to even know that your band exists, unless heard by word of mouth, or in person.

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Um, maybe sound quality. There are still a large number of people who don't like their music compressed.

So, support your local music store. Don't see the problem here.

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Most sales take place at the live venue but I do (did) have quite a bit of revenue annually from distribution channels such as Interpunk and CD Baby, both of which distribute physical CDs. We make (made) a smaller % from all the iTunes, Rhapsody and so forth. The problem with bittorrents now is that if you Google one of our CD titles (or anyone's at this point) you get a few legit distribution choices and a zillion bittorrent options.
    I still have to pay for advertising.
    I still have to pay for production.
    I still have to pay for everything that goes into the creation of the music.
    And although the music is known in certain circles worldwide, we do not tour worldwide - we have day jobs.
    Factor in bittorrents and that's money stolen right out of my pocket.

Regulation as you have shown is not going to happen so let me have my god damn gripe and quite defending the process of stealing intellectual property.

5. World Peace

My argument here is.. Were the people who download it in this fashion going to purchase it anyways? Probably not. If they were, they would have looked for your songs at amazon, cdnow, tower records, etc etc.

If it weren't for bit torrent, theres a ton of bands I would have never discovered and I would have never showed up to their shows. Most of these bands are not played on the radio. How else would I have heard of them? I'm downloading a top 100 heavy metal songs from the past 5 years torrent now.

Within 20 years, capitalism within traditional media will be all but dead. It will be impossible to make money off of media products. I'm not talking about just music. I'm talking about Movies, Music, Newspapers, Television, even Software (which is my career field)... All of it will be unprofitable and present an unsustainable business model with a negative profit margin, that is, if people are still trying to make money off of this stuff. I fully expect there to be no charge for media products in the future.

We all got bills to pay, kids, pets, significant others, priorities etc etc... Trust me... I feel your pain. Even today, much of the open source software (free) does the same thing as paid for software. Sometimes it does the trick better. For example, I run Ubuntu at home on a laptop and I prefer it over my Windows 7 machine. Windows 7 = $200 license Ubuntu = Free.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

you're welcomed.

although, i must say i buy most of my cds used from amazon. i don't have a problem with paying the artists for their hard work. i do have a problem with the music industry as a whole and how it is run, so i choose not to support it.

now if we're talking small indie bands; streetlight manifesto, bandits of the acoustic revolution, whole wheat bread, ect i have no problem buying those from best buy, because the more albums they sell the more radio play they'll get.

7. titansfan89

titansfan89 Starter

yeah man stay away from limewire...torrents is the "safest" way to go

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

mininova.org

9. World Peace

torver.com has verified torrents that are virus scanned before you download them.

10. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

deny, deny, deny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar