Let's trade Mettenberger to the Jets for DE Wilkerson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanUpB4UGO, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Could haha but it's riskier when he's going to be a high profile FA

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

If Mett plays well when he has the opportunity in pre season and in real games he could be get us as much as a 2nd rd pick in a year or 2.

If he plays well he could be looked at as similar to Matt Schaub when he was Vick's backup in Atlanta. The Falcons got a 2nd for Schaub.

Mett needs to show last year was not a fluke, that he can stay healthy and that he can stay out of trouble off the field. If he does his value will grow.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You don't know your way around the league if you think Fitzpatrick is not worth signing, he is the best QB on that team. He is at least as good or better than McCown, Hoyer or Sanzhez who all make $4.5-$5M.

Also you are totally clueless if you think Mett and Murray are equals. Murray did nothing impressive in preseason while Mett played great and then was credible in 6 games as a starter. Mett has a far higher ceiling.

Murray is 4th string for a reason.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ranking the NFL's backup quarterback situations 1-32

This was a list compiled in October but what you can see right away is that the backup QB situation around the league is rather thin. From a persecutive of talent, upside and current accomplishment Mett would certainly be near the top especially if a team does not have an iron clad starter.

Matt Moore is 10th and makes $2.6M. Dereck anderson is 6th. Fitzpatrick is not listed because he was starting for the Texans at the time.

There is not a plethora of young gun talent with any proven accomplishment that is not starting. then you look at some starters around the league.

People will say that Jay Cutler sucks but he is clearly better than any guy in that top 10.

5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Very true. Casey & Wilkerson would be perfect duo on the DL.

Just imagine next year we sign Wilkerson, draft Vernon Hargreaves III round 1, and ILB/NT/OL round 2 in 2016. Suddenly, our defense just got twice as good.

Primed for a playoff run ;-)

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'd agree with you RollTide. IF Mettenberger started all next year (or atleast the majority) and did well, he could fetch a higher pick.

You made the Schaub comparison, but also look at Kevin Kolb. Had an average year with Philly, was 26, and fetched a 2nd AND Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

If somebody offered a deal like that, it would be hard to refuse. But, I don't think thaty'll happen because I doubt Mettenberger sees the field anytime soon (unless Mariota gets hurt, knock on wood).

7. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

I am pretty sure if not for his fractured back and injuries during college Mett would have never came close to the 6th round. His actual talent/skill/potential is inline to be a starting qb in the NFL. Problem is, just like in his first season, doesnt take long for him to be on the sidelines nursing an injury.

On a side note, I am 100% against the "starting week 1" Mariota talk. I think Mett should start the first 6 games and Mariota gets the 4th quarter regardless of score and regardless of how good or bad he plays. If he is unbelievably good, then he still just plays the 4th quarter of the next game and if he is unbelievably bad, he still gets the 4th quarter of the next game. If he is proceeding as we would all hope, he can take over the start in the 7th game. If not he can take the 2nd half. I am willing to give up a few wins this season for the future.

8. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Whiz won't touch that idea.

Imagine the media circus

9. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Im gonna say this as nice as possible but that's an absolutely horrible idea and nothing but a QB carousel.

10. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I am very happy having Mett as the 2 and not clipboard! Mett is cheap and if the last few years and our line play have proofed anything, it is we need to qb's! And clipboard need not be one of the two. Mett is cheap and can do the job if called upon

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar