Let's talk about Colin Kaepernick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

As the draft approaches, we can start to rule out some QB candidates. Obviously no one can be ruled out for sure, but we can at least come to a consensus on this board about who we like.

Ryan Mallett has major character concerns (work ethic and drugs) and has been called a new Drew Bledsoe because he's so immobile. Only a couple guys around here like him.

Jake Locker has awful accuracy. I was in favor of drafting him before, but now I don't see how the Titans can do it.

Cam Newton is probably too close to Vince Young to draft. He has only played in a super basic offense and some say he can't read a defense at all. He also might be gone by the time the Titans pick.

Blaine Gabbert is a project and might not have any business being in the conversation for pick #1. I'm not even completely sure why so many people like him.

All of those guys have major knocks against them. They have all been discussed quite a bit in this sub-forum and we can leave the discussion of each guy in other threads.

One name that I haven't seen discussed much is Colin Kaepernick. There was a ton of buzz about him around the Senior Bowl (Mike Mayock was massively boning over him) but it has died down a bit. Let's talk about him.

He is very raw but apparently has more physical upside than any other quarterback in the draft. He has ideal QB size (6-5, 225... needs to add some weight on his skinny frame, but I'm sure he can) and great speed (has run a 4.4).

Kaepernick is apparently going to do a full combine workout, so he might get his name back into round 1 consideration. His arm is so strong that it apparently made both Manning brothers giggle like schoolgirls. His passes have also been described as very catchable (one of those weird terms that can't really be defined). Apparently he has great touch on his passes.

The major knock on him is that he's raw and is a system QB. He came from a spread offense and ran as much as he passed. Coming from Nevada, he hasn't really played against top-flight defenses.

He seems to have great character. He's tatted up majorly, which is weird to see on a QB. Not that there's anything wrong with tattoos, but I would be worried about a thug QB who is going to roll with the wrong crowd and spend late nights at bars. I know I'm stereotyping a bit here and I apologize, but I prefer my quarterbacks to be quiet, nerdy workaholics (it's not a race thing so let's not even go down that road). That said, Kaepernick is apparently very smart (he has scored a 38 on the Wonderlic -- higher than almost every player in the NFL) and a very devout Christian.

He's a project for sure, but so is every quarterback in this draft. Maybe he can't read defenses at all right now, but I'm more inclined to believe that a guy as smart as Kaepernick has a better chance of learning than Newton. If you're going to draft and develop a quarterback, you might as well get the one with the most upside. Kaepernick will probably be available in round 2 and maybe even 3 or 4.

Thoughts?

2. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

If you're talking about round 2, I would rather have Christian Ponder or Jake Locker. Ponder is the most NFL ready of the 3, just has injury concerns. Locker is a project, as is Kaepernick. From what I have read, and heard Locker say, his accuracy issues are caused by not getting his feet under him consistently when he throws. I have also heard scouts and NFL people say his intangibles are very similar to Tim Tebow's. I do like Kaepernick though, he has the ability to be a very good QB in this league. Scouts have compared him to VY with a better attitude. I just have the other 2 rated higher, and as bad as we need a QB, I don't see us waiting past round 2 for one. Not that I'm a fan of it, but I really believe Blaine Gabbert will be our next QB at pick 8.

3. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

on a side note, I did like the growth I saw from Kaepernick during the Senior Bowl week. In the game, when he would leave the pocket, he would keep his eyes downfield looking to make a play. Most QBs coming out of a system like he did would have taken off at the first sign of trouble. He may have the strongest arm in the draft, between him and Mallett, and as you said, he is a very smart kid. I would rather have him at 39, or trade back into the 2nd to make sure we get him then Cam at #8 overall. As you mentioned, every QB in this draft is a "project" QB. The reason I rate Ponder as the top choice is because he is a perfect fit for the West Coast offense we are expecting to run next year.

4. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

sold.... i was indifferent towards him... but i like the things i hear about him...
    only thing i hate about him is that if he's drafted... i'm never going to spell his last name right

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I do like Kaepernick a lot but not at 8. If we can trade down into the 20's and pick up another 2nd, I'd say take him there or with one of the 2nds.

Not that I'm a Cam Newton fan, but I think you saying that we won't take him because he's too much like Vince, then wanting to take Kaepernick is a little hypocritical. I've heard Kaepernick compared more to Vince than I have Cam. I've heard Cam compared more to Roethlisberger.

Good post though. I do think the Titans will take a look at him and if I'm not mistaken there was a report out of the Senior Bowl saying the Titans were watching him and Locker "very closely," but that was before Fisher was gone. He could be like McNair, coming from a small school but having great success in the NFL.

6. Titaneers

hope i dont get in trouble for this... and i know it's against small schools but..
    "Kaepernick currently stands as the only quarterback in the history of Division I college football to have passed for over 10,000 yards and rushed for over 4,000 yards in a collegiate career and also as the only QB to have passed for over 2,000 yards and rushed for over 1,000 yards in a single season three times in a career (consecutively)." - wikipedia
    also read his personal life... dude pretty much had a uphill battle his entire life and he's made it this far... i'd love to see him get drafted to our team

7. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

When I say "like Vince," I mean in terms of work ethic (there are rumors that Newton has a bad one) and ability to read defenses (neither Kaepernick nor Newton is good at this).

I have no problem at all with a QB who is an effective runner. That is not something that you need to avoid in the draft. Heck no.

8. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

No one is talking about Kaepernick at 8, or anywhere in the first round for that matter..picking him at pick 39 is probably a bit of a reach from where he is projected, but I could see that happening.

You're right about the VY/Kaepernick comparison, scouts have compared him to VY, except he has a much better attitude and is smarter.

9. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

He wears the symbol of the ancient beast...10.

10. Titaneers

i say 3rd rounder for him unless he wows at the combine..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar