Let the games begin...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SawdustMan, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

This thread has gotten me thinking... how would YOU do the divisions? I'd do them like this if I were king of the NFL... (This assumes Jags to LA)

AFCW

Oakland
    San Diego
    LA
    San Fran

AFCN

Indy
    Cincy
    Cleveland
    St Louis

AFCS

Tenn
    NO
    ATL
    CAR

AFCE

NE
    NYJ
    BUF
    NYG

NFCW

Seattle
    Arizona
    Denver
    KC

NFCN

GB
    Det
    Min
    Chi

NFCS

Dallas
    Houston
    Miami
    Tampa Bay

NFCE

Baltimore
    Washington
    Philly
    Pittsburgh

I think this allignment would be ideal. Each division is compact. Most of them are in the same time zones. Plenty of local rivals that currently don't exist.

Both Texas teams in NFCS
    Both Florida teams in NFCN
    All four Cali teams in same division. LA and SD are close, and the two bay teams obviously.
    Both NY teams in AFCE, with Buf and NE.
    Both Penn teams in same division

I had to split up the two Missouri teams though. Whatever. The least contiguous division is the Sea-Den-Ari-KC division, but all four of those teams are in the middle of nowhere, so there was little choice.

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Thats pretty much ideal as far as looking at it from a location/traveling standpoint ... Although if I were king of the NFL I would have the Titans in a much weaker div.

Titans
    Browns
    Mia
    Indy

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

They have to keep respect to the old NFL-AFL kind of thing with the NFC and AFC. Titans, Chiefs, Jets, Steelers, Browns (and Ravens) will probably always be AFC. Packers, Bears, Giants, Eagles, Cowboys will probably always be NFC

Recent teams like Carolina, Jax, SEA are more recent, and don't really have historical ties.

4. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

1. That is ancient history. I think few care anymore, and they are all old anyway.

2. The NFL would increase revenue by having all the teams close together, and building much larger stadiums. People from Nashville would actually drive to Atlanta, and maybe Car and NO. Turn the NFL atmosphere into more of a collegiate one, with traveling fans and tailgaiters.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

6. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

not a lot of owners left though from those days ... and there won't be any in a few more years

7. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

This is such an awesome idea. It will never happen under any circumstances, but this is brilliant.

Would I rather get in a shouting match with a Saints fan or Cows..? Saints. Is there more of a turf war between Nashville and Indianapolis or Nashville and Atlanta? Atlanta. I went to the game last year and they hate us already. Awesome. Where is the most uninteresting, white bread, chicken $#!+ place to live in the South, Charlotte or Jacksonville? Toss up.

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I have to disagree. The NFL wouldn't increase overall revenue by selling more tickets due to further regionalizing the league. The NFL makes the vast majority of its revenue from the television contracts. It's in the best interest of the league to nationalize franchises, rather than regionalize them. Teams that are well-known nationally get the best TV ratings. If you moved the Cowboys from the NFC East to a division of local teams, ratings would go down and revenue would suffer.

The NFL wants teams travelling across the country to play other teams. Segmenting all teams off into small, regional divisions would be counterproductive. (I realize that is sort of the way it is now, but the league isn't going to make it even more pronounced.)

9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

My guess would be Atlanta or St. Louis. Why the Rams are still in the NFC West at this point really does not make alot of sense to me. Maybe for 10 years after the team moved, but now?

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I did this last year.
    the basic premise is to keep divisional teams close enough for each fan base to commute to away games.
    State rivalries are created ,ie NY based teams together / OH, CA, PA, etc..

-not sure how I mixed up the SOUTH (afc - nfc) , but regardless of what these divisions are called, starting in Miami and working your way up, or starting in NE and working down, the result was this

[​IMG]

ps. with Jacksonville moving to LA, combining ATL and TN together just didn't work out. moving St. Louis or San Diego to LA opens the door though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar