Lesser Known Corners

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

We know the big names, but I thought I'd start a discussion on the lesser known guys. Has anyone come across your radar? It seems that relative to our position, it's going to be slim pickings. So, who should we be looking at later? A few guys I like:

Bruce Johnson, CB, Miami - 5'9 170, Johnson makes me think of a lesser known Alphonso Smith. He ran a 4.46 at the combine, tied with Lardarius Webb and Darius Butler for fastest CB times that day, and had a 6.71 3-cone, and a 4.05 short shuttle. Johnson was a 5th-6th round type, but is the type I could see the Titans selecting sooner.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles...profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

"Positives: Cover corner with excellent recovery and straight-line speed. ... Does not back down from larger receivers. ... Long arms that allow him to get hands on his man quickly and play the ball. ... Very sticky, changing direction quickly to keep close to his man. ... Very quick flipping hips open and staying with his man down the sideline. ... Low, fast and steady in his backpedal. ... Plays in the slot or on the outside. ... Good hands for the interception. ... Usually tries to cut to tackle, getting into the thigh of the ballcarrier, but can also wrap up in open space against quick screens. ... Has returned kickoffs, and could contribute there with his speed. ... Sticks onto gunners, protecting his punt returner.

Negatives: Small frame: adequate height, thin legs, hips and upper body. ... Plays on the line, but usually just runs with the receiver instead of jamming him. ... Also lacks the strength to get off tight end and receiver blocks. ... Flips his hips open too early inside, allowing receivers to get open on stop routes. ... Needs to be more aware of receivers in zone coverage. ... Occasionally loses his balance in his backpedal. ... Sometimes comes out of the game near the goal line and plays less against rush-happy teams because of a lack of bulk and size."

Lardarius Webb, as many will know by now or soon, is coming in for a visit. Transferred from Southern Miss to Nicholls St, Webb is 5'10 179 and was a FS/CB, kind of like Finnegan.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles...profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

"... he was the first player in NCAA history to win his conference's offensive, defensive and special teams player of the week awards during his junior year."

Here's an oddity, but I kind of like him: Donald Washington - the Other Ohio St. CB. Washington is the guy who had the highest vertical (45") at the combine (better than D. Butler's 43"), posted a 4.49 40 (remember the fastest official of the day was 4.46 by D.Butler, Webb and Johnson), 6.84 3-cone and 4.22 20-yard shuttle. He's bigger than most at 6'0 197. Warning: Washington is more athlete than developed corner at this point.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if an unexpected corner made his way to our pick #62 or #94.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

[​IMG]

Jackie Bates.

3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I don't know if he is a lesser known guy, but Darius Butler from UConn strikes me as an interesting possibility for us @ #30.

He's got good size, 5'10", 185-190 lbs, ran a much improved 4.38 at his pro day and from what I've seen of him, he could be a real steal.

I saw Mike Mayock of NFL Network rave about how impressive he was at his pro day. Mentioned that he bumped himself right up there with DJ Moore, Vontae Davis, and Alphonso Smith. Even went so far as to say that his size might even give him an added advantage over these guys because of his blazing 4.38 40-time.

I don't think that we will wait too long before taking a CB, so I think there is a good chance that we do go CB in the 1st. Butler would be my pick.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I would agree the Titans would take Butler if he was there. He started out pretty unknown by most, playing at UConn, but his workouts, more than his production per se, have elevated hm.

The rest of the fools are clearing a way for him to being one of the first three corners taken. Jenkins, Smith and Moore have all slipped up badly.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

You just like the uniform...

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The socks, pants and helmet specifically. Actually, his uniform now is:

[​IMG]

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

None of these guys have the blazing speed that Finny has but if we continue to play a cover 2 type scheme we don't necessarily need a blazing CB. A good technique guy who can play well against the run is as important as speed especially on the strong side of the defense. Also we need a guy who can play smart. Those are the attributes Harper brings.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree completely, Sox. That's why I put Macho Harris back on the radar, but as far as speed, Johnson and Webb are only a step or slower than Finnegan, I feel. Webb runs a legit sub 4.4 40. Johnson was reported there, but official times of 4.46 combine and 4.42 and 4.45 at pro day are good enough for me.

Griffin is my current speed measure at corner, from when he played there as a rookie. If a CB can run better than his 4.47 and has the other goods -- good hips, good COD, good tackles, good in zone, willingly supports the run, they should be highly considered somewhere, IMO.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

A 7th rnd CB. He's a 167lb CB who can't hold up against the run, can't jam anyone cause he's weak AND small, doesn't have good balance, doesn't have good awareness in zone coverage and is not a strong player (coverage-wise)? Sounds like a 5th-6th guy who's more likely to go undrafted than go in round 3. Remember, a 200lb WR outweighs by 33lbs.

EXACTLY the kind of prospect that the Titans could reach for in rnd 3 or 4! He's not big, but has speed, athleticism, and USES it on the field to make plays! He's aggressive and has a lot of the natural things - good hands, plays the ball, and plays the run! He's also a KR and PR...Carr with MUCH better upside and the potential to be a very good kr/pr. Only problem is...why was he dismissed from team in '07? I could see him go 4nd 4 or 5...depending on his red flag.

Well, you usually take the freakish athletes in rnd 3 or later. Wash has a fantastic vertical and a huge broad jump(he was long jump champ) so you know he has explosive lower body power. He's flashed ability to play but it is quite disconcerting he was suspended for 2 games and apparently never really regained his starting job...not to mention finishing with 5 assisted tackles. Not good. Could see us taking a flyer on him in rnd 4-7.

I think there is zero chance any of the above would be even considered in rnd 2. Webb could go as high as 3 - at best.

Gut

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hey, keep an eye on...

Bradley Fletcher, Iowa - He's got the size (6'), speed (4.44) and athleticism (40" vertical and solid cone 7.04). Gets his hands on a lot of balls, seems to have pretty good instincts, skies for balls and is aggressive in doing so. He's also a good tackler. Some think he might be better at S...he's worth a later mid to late round pick. Performed very well in all-star practices.

Coye Francis, San Jose State - Has the size (6') but not the speed (4.6+) nor the build (only 185lbs) to be a starting NFL CB. However, he could work out well in a zone scheme in which his legit 10 and 20 yd burst are good along with his tacklings and ability to break on the ball. He's a very good player that just doesn't have long speed but also possesses a red flag...arrested for having a loaded firearm (though the charges were dropped).

Ryan Mouton, Hawaii - diminutive at 5'9. He's a slot CB (nickel) who can return punts and can even play some slot WR. He is aggressive and a playmaker, but doesn't always have the size or strength to make the play. He's a baller though. He also blew the doors off his Pro Day. Timed between 4.42 and 4.46...but was supposedly slowed the last 10 with a hamstring (meaning he probably would have been in the 4.3's). Alo posted a very impressive 11' broad jump and a solid 39 1/2" vertical. Could go late or undrafted but I like him as a #4 CB with the potential for more.

A few late guys to keep your eye on...

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar