Length of Munchak deal no longer matters

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

When Titans owner Bud Adams decides whether to bring back coach Mike Munchak next season, it won’t matter that Munchak has two years left on his contract.

What will matter is whether Adams thinks Munchak has the franchise headed in the right direction and is the man to keep it headed in the right direction.

With a 4-9 record heading into Monday night’s game against the Jets — and with three games left to play — it’s a critical stretch for Munchak. And he knows it.

Munchak confirmed on Thursday that his contract runs through the 2014 season, something ESPN’s Paul Kuharsky first pointed out earlier today. Munchak said that’s the deal he received from Adams after replacing Jeff Fisher last year.

“The whole thinking behind it then was we were going to have some time to get this thing right,” Munchak said Thursday. “That doesn’t mean Mr. Adams can’t change his mind any time along the path. … But I think we’ll get it done, it’s just a matter of hanging in there.”

In reality, Munchak’s not any safer because his contract runs through 2014 instead of 2013 as was so widely reported.

With Munchak’s annual salary in the $2.75 million to $3 million range, yes, it would cost Adams more if he let him go early, but Adams wouldn’t flinch if he wanted to make a change. He’s proven that in the past.

The Titans wouldn’t be on the hook for a boatload of contracts for Munchak’s assistants either. None of his assistants are under contract through 2014.

When Munchak was hired, he signed defensive coordinator Jerry Gray and offensive coordinator Chris Palmer to three-year deals. Palmer was fired last month, and Gray’s contract expires after the 2013 season. Munchak’s other assistants have contracts that expire either after this season or after next season.

If Adams elects to keep Munchak after this season, he’s better off having a contract with two years remaining, instead of one. With two years left, Munchak would have more flexibility on potential coaching moves.

Munchak reiterated on Thursday that he’s not worrying about his future. He just wants to win games.

“I feel we are heading in the right direction, we just haven’t won enough games,” Munchak said. “But we’re working to get it right, and when we come back and do the things we all expect to do, it will make it even sweeter.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Analysis, Commentary, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Good point about faking assistants into thinking they have 2 years more job security.

I like Munchak in print, especially the last quote.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Better than fkn Fisher "Oh I might have a 4 year deal but you know, it could be a 3 or even 2 year deal. The deal has a knee. All I want to do is talk about Field Goals."

4. amy

amy Starter

In all honesty, there are very few coaches who can turn a team around in one or two years. Count them on one hand. So giving Coach at least one more season, perhaps with different coordinators and assistants is probably what is going to happen. You always have to take in the makeup of the players. Some teams have guys that can think quick and learn the playbook easily. Others not so much. I think we have the 'not so much' group. I've said before that those in charge of drafting would do well to have a look at IQ scores and do extensive interviews. It's not that the players can't learn, it's just that it takes them much longer. Unless of course, they can't read at all, which we know is the case sometimes.

5. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I dont know why people keep defending Munchak.

He lacks any passion. He doesn't have the ability to light a fire in his players. He coaches like Fisher is still here watching him. People always talk about QB's having "it".. well, this "coach" doesn't have "it" and that's obvious.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

What you report no longer matters Jim Wyatt.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

dunno about that "right direction/not winning games" quote...​

8. sikwiddit

sikwiddit Starter

Going from 9-7 to a possible record of 7-9 is moving in the right direction?...
    Granted they have had injuries, but the Titans were losing before the injuries started piling up.

9. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

The team is moving in the right direction if using the Bears game as the reference point ... luckily for Munch that is about as far back as Bud can remember

10. yanek27

yanek27 Starter

He is killing this team. There is no excitement, he never does anything on the sidelines, Campbell does dumb blocks in the back (1 time he did it 3x in a game) and Munch keeps sending him out there. CJ fumbles 2x vs the bears and Munch keeps him in against the Bears 2nd team when we are down by like 50. Maybe I am wrong, but mistakes need to be addressed and Coaching should not be a reason why you keep getting flags on offense.

Instead of worrying about BIG SCREENs, ELEVATORS, or PRE GAME CONCERTS, how about we get a REAL football team with a real coach.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar