Lendale's replacement?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Feb 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drafting a back should be the last of our concerns....last time i checked we had the worst receivers in the league, we do not need shonn green..we just drafted our back of the future and shonn green is a number 1 back

2. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Last time I checked we rely heavily on the running game. Therefore, we should replenish our backfield more often than most.

We're going to be in a world of hurt this time next year if we don't start planning for the future. CJ isn't going to do it by himself.

We have 5 RBs on our roster right now, and outside of CJ, none of them are worth a damn. We're batting .200 right now in the RB department, and that's piss-poor considering how much we like to run the ball.

Give me Mike Bush and be done with it.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Steelers had a top 10 feature back in parker and top #2 in moore and still used a first rd pick on mendenhall. Why? Because they were looking ahead 2-3 years.

I'm not demanding we draft this kid in the 2nd rd just suggesting it might be something to think about with lendale having only one season left.

We have a great property in CJ but CJ should not ever carry the ball more than what he did this year 251 times which means other people are going to get 200 carries.

4. Lendale, Chris Henry, CJ. no way we try to " replenish our backfield" when we already have used so many picks on rb's. and lendale got us over the goal line 15 times last season. thats production and i think the cj lendale combo is fine

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I think the Raiders are only asking a third or a fourth for him, but people do need to get over LenDale. You could argue LW was the top backup RB last season. Ward had more yards, but I'll always take 250 less yards for a gaggle more TDs. He was the #10 back in the league during a year he had a bad miniscus tear. Come on. Enough is enough.

Having said that, I said as a reason to justify the Chris Johnson pick that the Titans could arguably draft a RB every year as long as Fisher is coach (to keep his job secure). We want to make sure that group keeps rolling. This is LenDale's last year, and if they know they're not going to extend him (which I think they could do for reasonable money -- he don't mind playing behind CJ), it's not unreasonable to draft another RB later. I myself would add Ian Johnson from Boise St., maybe with one of our comp picks. He's been splitting carries since his sophomore year when he had the 25 TDs. He's grown a bit, too. 5'11 212 now and ran 4.46 at the combine, second best RB speed and only those top two broke 4.5 at all. Since we have LenDale, I don't know if we have to draft an obvious replacement for him this year. So many needs we need to address in the first three rounds, mainly on defense, I can see us picking one, but I think we take a day one break from RB, at least this year.

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Don't sleep on Rafael Little either guys.

I agree with TJ. Not this year. Lendale's contract expires next season and I'd be surprised if we re-sign him. At the running back position, taking a late 1st/2nd round guy and letting them play out their rookie contract and then sign for big money elsewhere is actually a pretty good formula. RBs that get close to 30 just aren't worth the money.

7. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

The only reason Lendale had that 80 yard run against Kansas City was because he had a wide open lane to run up. If it wasn't for our offensive line and Hall that would have not happen. It's not like he was breaking defenders off.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6_0-1coS6qc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6_0-1coS6qc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

When you make the right read, make the right cut and have the right speed you don't have to break defenders off.

9. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

ian johnson looked good in his highlights here

but i would want him to put on a little more weight if he is to be our power back. he broke tackles but rarely pushed the pile.

if we tagged lendale after next year we could trade him for something decent . i think he'll have a good season.. contract year. also, supposedly he's been working out pretty hard.

10. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

IMO... Johnson has good vision, but isn't very fast... contrary to his 40 time at the combine, and is not a guy who is going to break a lot of tackles. He's a guy who might be someone 3rd back, bottom of the roster player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar