League Conduct Policy Appears Arbitrary

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Vick isn't going to be in jail until months from now if he pleas and longer than that if this goes to trial. How can you think he could go to trial, be sentenced and have his prison term within weeks?

He has already violated the conduct policy. He should be suspended now under the same precedent as Pac was. If he is found guilty- he violates it further.

You are talking circles.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Vick isnt going to play this season, you know that as well as I. You are arguing a technicality, nothing more. If he comes out and suspends Vick right now it is meaningless, because he wont be playing anyway. So, basically you want him to cut Vick a break by suspending him during a time period that he wouldnt be playing anyway. And no, Im not talking in circles. I think it is quite obvious to everyone that Michael Vick will not see a football field in 07, and that a suspension would more or less be meaningless right now. Again, you are arguing based upon a technicality. But, with all due respect, I think we have gone around in cirlces with regards to this enough, so I am out. Michael Vick wont be on a football field until at least the 09 season, maybe 2010. I think that is fitting, if you dont, then we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Vick is going to get a year, everyone knows that. Depending on the plea, he could get up to a 2 year suspension. I really dont see how that is inconsistant with Pac. THe only difference is, that Vick is going to plea probably by tomorrow. So, what it hurts in waiting a few more days before he gives the formal suspension, I have no idea.

So, let me just ask this, and then I am probably calling it a day on this topic. What does it change if Goodell gave Vick a suspension a month ago, tonite, or a week from now? He wont be playing in 07 or 08, and quite possibly even 09. So, what changes based on when it is formally announced?

And if you remember, Goodell looked into the Pac situation for several months before suspending him as well. You are acting as if Pac's name was in the paper one nite, and Goodell suspended him the next day. I really dont see why waiting a few months with Vick is any different than how he handled Pac.

4. Riverman

I'll let this guy answer it simply.

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Here's a simple answer for you. The NFL is waiting to see if Vick takes a plea deal and what his punishment will be before they hand down their own penalty. Facts are still coming in, and now it appears that gambling charges will be added, which will further add to his problems. Analysts are saying the NFL doesn't want the suspension to run concurrent with whatever the legal system hands out, so they have to wait and see. You are so obsessed over the Pacman deal, you just can't see the overall picture here. Life just isn't as simple as you are trying to make it.

6. Riverman

Yeah- it really IS that simple. You are buying that line of crap?

Why weren't they interested about waiting to see what the legal system did before they suspended Pac? (To "avoid concurrent" legal and league punishment?)

Come on man- that is just retarded. The league is back-tracking on the policy precedent they set with Pac. They can't openly state it because that would be a liability nightmare for the league from an unfair labor practice standpoint.

7. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Because Pac is currently serving a league punishment that isnt running concurrently with any legal punishment. Pac isnt in prison right now, nor tied up in courts all day everyday. If Pac werent suspended, he would be playing. Vick, isnt suspended yet, but still isnt playing. Why punish a guy by telling him he cant play, when he isnt playing at the time anyway?

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Because Pac has yet to be convicted of anything, but I am sure you remember under the NFL conduct policy that is a separate matter. Since there is very little reason to believe Vick will not be convicted, and his offenses are very serious, they are having to use a different approach. They are not back-tracking at all, they are simply waiting to see what happens to Vick, and whether he pleas. Pac's suspension wasn't exactly handed out overnight, and he even had a chance to meet with Goodell before it happened. Pac amassed a long list of problems that added up to his suspension. This is not the case with Vick, and why you are trying to compare the two is beyond me. Pac may never be convicted of anything, but he still broke the conduct policy. Are you in an office pool or something, on when his punishment will be handed out? You certainly are impatient.

9. Riverman

You guys are amazing.

Pac- suspended before legal punishment (no guilt in a court of law)

Henry, Johnson- suspended after legal punishment (guilt in a court of law)

Vick- now going to be punished after legal punishment (legally guilty)

Now, if Vick decides to let the case go to trial, then there should be no reason whatsoever (and apparently we will know today) to withold suspending for AT LEAST ONE YEAR. Right away.

The policy is arbitrary in how it has been administered. You guys- not bothered by it or don't recognize it -that's OK that is your opinion. We can disagree. But don't try to push it off that the policy is not arbitrary with faulty logic.

It is my opinion the manner Goodell steered the policy administration in a new direction that is arbitrarily administered. It was unfair to the Tennessee Titans, in that we lost one of our key playmakers as a result. We may have lost him anyway- had a court of law found him guilty. But Goodell took a new direction by allowing "charges only" and the negative publicity be sufficient enough to violate the conduct policy.

I contend that Vick's charges have violated the policy in the same fasion. Goodell gave Pac a year with conditions to reduce the suspension IF he stays out of trouble (which also means an acquittal of the obstruction charges and future charges such as the Las Vegas). Goodell has stated that he intends to utilize information from the plea deal. Honestly- what information would be uncovered that would effect the conduct policy violation that has already occured? More charges?- Pac was suspended for an entire year with conditions to reduce that include no further charges AND the stipulation that it could be extended (or re-entry in to the league refused) if further violations (eg-charges) were to occur.

So why now, does Goodell believe that he should wait on the legal system when he didn't with Pac? The concurrent sentence reasoning sounds good to the average listener but doesn't make logical sense. Vick won't be serving any jail time until next year if it goes to trial, and may serve any if he is found innocent. What then?

The logical thing, following precedent set by Pac, would be for Goodell to suspend Vick for at least a year REGARDLESS of the plea deal and with stipulations he may not be allowed to re-enter the league or extend the suspension if found guilty or more charges added.

Because he has not administered the policy in this fashion- it is by definition arbitrary.

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Yes it is amazing that some of us have the ability to see the logic in waiting another week or so before coming down with a suspension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar