Laron Landry - How high?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Carpy, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

I am a monster UF fan so I am a little biased, however Reggie Nelson is an absolute animal. Forget legit 4.4 speed, this kid has legit 4.3 speed, he is a little light (about 185-190lbs) but he hits like a ton of bricks. He broke some kids jaw in the endzone last year, and split open another one's chin on a near identical play. He has great coverage skills, and is not afraid to take on the big RB's in the SEC. Unfortunately (for us perhaps) he is getting some great press as he is a finalist (final 3) for the top DB in college, and a finalist (final 5) for the best defensive player period in the nation. Landry is on neither of these lists. If the titans get a chance to get him in the second round the should have the card to the podium in about 2 seconds. As it stands right now, if we win more games then I think we do for the rest of the season and have a pick in the area of 10th or later, I think you give him serious consideration. Pac, Nelson, Hope, and who ever our second corner will be (Hill, Finnegan, or a FA) have the makings of a serious ball hawking, great tackling secondary.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

I know of no one or any site that I trust list Nelson with 4.3 speed. As far as I know, he's been timed twice with a 4.42 and a 4.47. He was 5'11 1/2 and 195lbs last year.

He's an excellent player and a top 20 player in the 2008 class, but we'll see how he works out and how he plays in the 'big' game coming up. Oh, AND if he comes out. If he can run in the low 4.4 to high 4.3 range, he won't make it our of the first rnd I wouldn't think. Again, depends on who else comes out.

Landry not being a finalists for the same awards doesn't mean he won't be a great NFL player just like winning the Heisman doesn't mean you'll even become a starter in the NFL. These awards are for how you played and don't have a correlation to making the transition to the NFL.

However, I think we'd ALL love to see Reggie playing FS for us next to Hope!

Gut

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I just think we've gotta have an impace safety and right DE sometime during the next offseason. Unfortunately, I don't know of any FA that fit the bill, with the exception of Freeney, and that's unlikely. I think defense has to come before offense in this draft. (Sorry CJ fans). Depending on Haynesworth, we may need a DT, too.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

WE may need a DT regardless of Haynesworth being here or not.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

6. TWR#1

TWR#1 Guest

new here.....come from FF

I'm a huge a UF Fan,and I've seen Reggie Nelson play many times this year,and i even went to the Vandy game just to see him as a prospect.He played mostly center field the whole time like a deep safety,and he tackled very well...He also was great on special teams and blocked 2 punts....This guy reminds me of a Ed Reed in his all around preformance and versatillity.I'm almost deffinate he'll declare.

7. TWR#1

TWR#1 Guest

and here some more info to back me up on Reggie Nelson coming out....

8. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

Reggie was timed at a 4.37 at the Nike combine as a High School senior. That's laser timed, start to finish, with a stand-still block start, same as NFL combine. He's also been timed faster at UF camps, but those are the times I hesitate to trust. Three years of college speed and weight training should not make him any slower, and he has not put on more than 15-20 lbs, which would be all muscle. Regardless, the guy is fast, and he is lightning fast for a safety. He's listed at 190 lbs on the UF website, but I still think that's a little heavier than his true weight, if you see him on the field he's cut, but he looks pretty thin. He was 177lbs when he showed up to campus last year as a soph, and obviously he has put on some weight. What I'm saying though, is if we go safety, and Mr. Nelson is available we had best pick him up.

9. Pit Bull #53

Pit Bull #53 Guest

Landry had by far his most impressive game of the year today. He showed great tackling skills and had an INT, though it was pretty much gift wrapped. He had one of those games where he just "flashed"...like he was in on every play. I've been watching all season for a game like this from him and have been disappointed to date. He hasn't had any bad games per se, but he hasn't stood out like a star player should, until today.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ah...

Thanks for the info...but I didn't mean he's NEVER run a 4.3, just not recently (last year or this year) cause that's what matters. As you said, adding on 15-20lbs will drop your 4.3 to a 4.4 in a hurry...even if it is all muscle.

But I agree, from what I've seen so far, he's the best combo of athlete and football player with high energy, will knock you out, ball skills, and plays in control. I like him!!!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar