Lamont Thompson

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Xplayer52, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

Ok, just making sure, and I'd have nothing wrong with letting a guy go who's getting overpaid, I meant to mention that. And I agree, if it's avoidable we don't need to be paying a backup $2 mil

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

abandoning the zone ? :ha:

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

like the Arena league :clown:

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I blame Schwartz. :grrhee:

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The real problem is that Schwartz frequently plays Cover 2 (and rotations), Cover 3, and Cover 4. As you might have guessed, that number is how many deep defenders with the deep zone defenders being FS, SS in Cover 2, CB/CB/FS in Cover 3, CBFS/SS/CB in Cover 4. Of note, when we rotate a Cover 2, one of the deep 2 will then become a CB (weakside of the rotation).

One way Schwartz could have lessened the deep threat to Lamont would have been to have Lamont be the up Safety and had Hope play the deep middle in a Cover 3. We rarely did that. And unfortunately, that left 2 out of 3 defenders who had trouble playing the deep ball...Hill and LT down the middle. Can you say BAD idea? I can.

If you stick in a Nate Clements and leave LT at FS, we will be hit a lot less down the sidelines but be hurt down the middle. In Cover 2, it'd be worse as our 2 BEST secondary players would be playing a short zone and Lamont would still be a deep zone defender.

So short of replacing Schwartz, the first thing that needs to be done is remove Lamont...from the roster. He's not as bad as he looks, but he's not worth 2 mil even to a good DC so time to cut our losses.

Second, stick Lowry, Fuller, or Finnegan into the FS spot. Already I'm feeling better.

Next, add Clements or Samuel to the CB spot and we have successfully removed a large amount of risk from the big pass play.

Next, decide if Lowry, Fuller or Finnegan can not ONLY start (afterall...Lamont could 'start'), but be GOOD!

Next, decide if a Landry or Nelson would be a serious upgrade. If yes, try to get one in the draft.

Gut

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

good post Gut

but remember, Cortland is a corner

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

He was a safety at Sam Houston.

8. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

If we made these signings in the secondary we'd still have enough money for Stallworth right?

9. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

um yes

we have enough money for a reciever , secondary and maybe a de

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Bipolar,

I was more or less joking around about the Vols players. I'm an alumni from Tennessee so my college allegiance is with the vols. I agree, many ex-vols are not very good examples for society.

I guess, for me, I do enjoy watching the ex-vol players in the NFL and its fun to root for Travis Henry when I can remember watching him in knoxville.

Deon Grant was a great Vol and a good part of the National Championship D. He would be one of my favorite ex-vols the Titans could sign.

The number one vol I would dream to see in a Titans uniform....

Al Wilson!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar