Labor Agreement Reached/NFL Salary Cap Set at $102 Million

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: With a new agreement in place between the owner and players, the salary cap will be part of the NFL for the next six seasons. $850-$950 million will be added to player's salaries during that time. The '07 salary cap will increase to $102 million which is 20 percent higher than last season's $85.5 million. Free agency will begin Saturday and a few teams may have to cut players in order to meet it. The Titans should have around $14-$16 million to spend in free agency. "We don’t know all the rules that are going to be attached to whatever the agreement is. It’s going to take a few hours to figure that out," Reese said. "But it takes us to a position to where we’ve kind of gone from the middle of the pack to closer to the top [in money to spend]. We’re thrilled with the fact that we’re kind of out of cap jail in one year." The agreement also opens negotiations again with QB Steve McNair as the two sides are hoping to reach an agreement on an extension to lower a $23.463 cap number.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

err how the hell does he work that out? we'd still be in the middle seeing as everyone got the same amount of extra cap space.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If they can get something done with McNair, the Titans could have close to $20 mil for free agency.

It's been a while since the Titans were players in FA.

4. I assume they mean based on total team profit rather than cap room. The teams with the top revenues are now giving up a big chunk of that money to the pool that goes to smaller teams. The Titans should fall just below the teams that have to contribute.

5. Maybe about $25M under, depending on the terms of the deal...

6. bigreese82

bigreese82 Camp Fodder

maybe I wouldn't make a good GM

:greedy:
    I wonder whether we would really be players in FA. I consider us a player if we go after Brees,E. James,Milloy, C.Chavous, Vanderjagt, Vinatieri, Archuleta, Randle El....True veteran impact players:greedy:
    I know about all the 2nd tier FAs but It would be nice to fill our holes with proven impact players

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

When was the last time the Titans (Oilers) were $25M under the cap?

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Why Vanderjagt?

9. The biggest positions of need right now seem to be WR and LB. That's where I'd throw my cap room. There aren't any #1 WRs to be had, though.

Center could be Jacob Bell's job to lose if that's where they want him (with Amano as the backup), but if they aren't sure they could go after a vet.

Maybe RT, but I'd bet on them going with Stewart or Loper.

Safety is possible, but at this point I think they'll move Lamont to SS and start Fuller at FS.

10. Possibly during the vagabond years where they could recruit a veteran free agent to save their life. If not then, probably never...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar