kuharsky has an interesting take DE situation

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The more i think of it we are not going DE in rd one just for financial reasons.

This year KVB counts about $5M against the cap, kearse almost $3M and fisher 2.2M. That's over 10 million bucks and then we add a 1st rd pick at that position? If kearse, fisher and ford can't handle that left side then someone needs to go. I can see drafting someone later on in rds 3 or 4.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

10 mil for your 3 top DEs is not that much money. What Tide is saying is you have to make sure one of your DEs sucks so you don't have to spend money?

If a DE is one of the top players available and with all the CAP room we have, especially considering Fisher is nothing special and can be cut as soon as we get some depth you better believe we will draft a DE. Also, drafting a stud DE at #24 in the draft is a very economical way to get a stud DE. By the time the rook is looking for an extension Kearse and KVB might be on their way out of the league anyway. Actually, the more I look at the age of Kearse and KVB and our need for a good DE in the rotation drafting one in the first looks even better if the right guy is there.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I don't think you can draft a guy as a protective measure against a divisional opponent. We have to get whatever guy is best for us. We can't be worried about trying to steal whoever the Jags have at the top of their board.

5. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I would bet that Fisher and Kearse will play opposite KVB. I think we would have been a little bit more urgent in re-signing Odom and LaBoy if he was awful. Then again, if we do take a DE in the first 2 rounds, I would say that Fisher is out of here. That'd be too much money for him as a backup especially considering he would likely be behind Kearse and the pick.

6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Let Fisher prove himself. I think the Kearse/Fisher combo will be very efficient. We definately don't need to go DE in the first or second rounds. We need WR, CB, RB, DT, Olinemen, and maybe a linebacker later on.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

You get what you pay for. The Giants are probably spending upwards of $20M/year at DE, which is a ton...but that DE rotation destroys opponents.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

If the BPA is a DE I say we take him.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I see so we should pay a guy like odom strahan money just to prove we are serious?

KVB makes $5M, we paid a 6th rd pick and a $2M+ contract for fisher. Then we drafted ford and then signed kearse. I don't think we are paying jevon kearse $3M a year at his age to back up some rookie. If our plan was to draft a guy first i doubt we sign kearse because we are not paying him that to be a backup and we are not paying fisher 2 mil to not play.

10. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

That's basically my opinion. I'd say the same for WR or OG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar