Kubiak will take time considering DC candidates

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>Gary Kubiak told Houston reporters he will take his time <a href="/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-251/Texans-dismiss-Smith--two-other-defensive-assistants.html" shape="rect" target="_blank">revising his defensive staff</a> after letting defensive coordinator Richard Smith, defensive backs coach Jon Hoke and defensive line coach Jethro Franklin go.</p> <p>Senior defensive assistant Frank Bush will be among those interviewed for the coordinator post.</p> <p>Kubiak was complimentary of all three coaches. He said he wanted to give them an opportunity to find what's next as soon as possible and added that while the defense made strides late this season, there has not been enough progress in his three seasons.</p> <p>Highlights from the press conference courtesy of the Texans' PR department:</p> <p><strong>On what is he looking for in a replacement:</strong></p> <p><strong>Gary Kubiak</strong>: I'm going to take my time. With this league, this gets pretty crazy here over the course of the next few weeks. So, I think it's important that we just settle down right now and get some of these guys some time here next week. I'll begin to put together and list of candidates. Frank Bush will be one of the guys interviewed for the job and we'll get our group together, but we'll take our time getting that done and probably start our interview process not next week but the following week.</p> <p><strong>On if the replacements have to have a 4-3 background:</strong></p> <p><strong>GK</strong>: Well, obviously we've got a lot of work put in in that area and would like to stay there, but at the same time, I think we're just going to do what's best for this team, find the best football coach and we'll do that.</p> <p><strong>On if he will replace defensive line coach Jethro Franklin and secondary coach Jon Hoke even though senior defensive assistant Frank Bush and assistant defensive backs coach Ray Rhodes are still on the staff:</strong></p> <p><strong>GK</strong>: Well, I think we have see what's going to happen. Ray will definitely be here. He will help me in some way, shape or form after we decide on who is going to be our next coordinator. Ray will either be helping me, helping the DBs, helping assisting the coordinator; however we go about doing it. We'll decide his role once that decision is made. As I said, Frank will interview for the job. I think a great deal of Frank and his knowledge and his passion for this game. So, he's going to be a part of our staff and then (linebackers coach) Johnny Holland will also be a part of our future also.</p> <p><strong>On how he would expect a new defensive coordinator to come in and get some new, premier players in free agency:</strong></p> <p><strong>GK</strong>: Well, obviously we have to get better. We're always looking to get better. I think we have some pieces in place that give us a chance to be successful. I think we've got more than two or three pieces. I think we've got some fine young players. It's up to us to find a way to get them better. But naturally, (general manager) Rick (Smith) and I have to give this coordinator, whoever that ends up being, the best chance to be successful. That's what's difficult to me today. I told Richard the same thing. I said, 'Richard, I hurt because I didn't do a good enough job of giving you the people or putting you in the position to be successful.' So, that starts with me. But we have to do a better job with this guy and surrounding him with the right people and do a better job with the people we have.</p> <p><strong>On if he prefers someone who is an experienced play-caller as a defensive coordinator:</strong></p> <p><strong>GK</strong>: That doesn't concern me. I'm sure that I will end up talking to guys that have been coordinators in this league for a great length of time. I'm sure I will interview some guys who have not been coordinators that I think have a chance to be excellent coordinators. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about finding the best fit for our football team and the guys that we have here.</p>

More...

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

greg williams

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

he's got till the cows come home

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar