Kind of interesting thought by David Boclair

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Sounds like a good yin/yang relationship

2. smili

smili Starter

I agree, but I do think what they're implementing is a new vision and I gotta give Munchak credit for pushing the idea that we need to become a more pass oriented offense. They've made a commitment to drafting both receiving and QB talent highly, and have made a commitment to drafting increasing speed on defense. They're a team in transition but there is a vision there. Without seeing them play yet this year it's tough to know how that vision is progressing, but I'm hopeful. There are more pieces in place than we've had in a while.

edit: and it should _not_ be considered a negative that Munchak brings in a guy like Williams. Good people surround themselves with good people. It's not a sign of weakness to bring in people that are good at things that you're not.

3. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I could care less to be honest. This team will be better with Gregg Williams around it, and that's all that matters.

4. Barnybyrd

Barnybyrd Starter

When Fisher was here, he was all about the defense, it was what he did. As far as offense....3 yds and a cloud of dust. Of all the years he was here, how well did he use our receivers? Drew Bennett was probably one of the most productive receivers we had, him and D Mase . After all we had Randy Moss and he was thrown to how many times?

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I kind of imagine it will be Grey having the final say but Williams just being that shadowy guy in the back ground manipulating him

"Are you sure you want to do that Jerry?"

6. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

The negative is that Munch is not good at what he should be good at. And I don't expect him to be a defensive guru by any means, but I believe he is much more deficient than most HC's are in knowing the inner workings of all three phases, what's effective and what's not, how to attack with both sides of the ball, implementing an effective system ( his system, not what the coordinators think we should run) i.e. the general obligations/duties of a HC. It's a sign that he is weak, or at best has been weak, in assessing/coaching either side of the ball and correcting problems over the past two years. And I don't mean turning us into the Packers overnight, but at least improving as time progresses and having a coherent direction and vision. Last year, excuses or not, was a major step backwards. Those games in which we looked as though we didn't belong in the NFL don't help his cause either.

His solution has been to bring in Greg Williams, and that should help. But I still do not like the fact that he is the HC, all the while his coaching abilities being that deficient. I still don't know what exactly his duties are and what exactly he is providing to the team on Sundays.

And I don't think we're becoming a more pass oriented offense. They've said they will be a run first offense. They tried the pass oriented offense with Chris Palmer....it didn't work. So they're trying something different.

I was glad to see Greg Williams come on board and have nothing against him or the hire. He will only help this defense get better....he was brought in because the HC and DC couldn't. I know Munch can't turn into Lombardi, and he knows that, so he did what he thought was best for the team, and I applaud him for that. That is indeed the sign of a good manager, but I would feel more comfortable if he would show signs this year of becoming a good Head Football Coach.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. smili

smili Starter

Last year was a step back, absolutely. The first year was a pleasant surprise - especially given what I expected could be a train wreck - and I hope is indicative of what Munchak teams can be like when all the pieces come together. I guess I have positive hopes and reason to think there's alot of good there in what they're building.

Whether we pass more or not going forward - I applaud dedicating top draft resources to quality recievers and QB. Just having legitimate threats in the passing game should help w/ running game too - and the ability to call on them when needed to reduce the 8 and 9 man in box looks.

I'm actually curious about the philosphy behind the offensive line picks besides they're high quality picks and "big". The league seems to be opting for smaller/faster on defense in many cases - so is the emphasis on a couple of "big" powerful offensive linemen a response to teams that optimize around smaller/faster? If they put their pass rushers on the field do we go w/ fullback and run it all day long?

8. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

This concerns me. Sounds like a possible train wreck. Fractured Locker room, etc.

Hope it works out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar