Kiffin recruits....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by VolnTitan, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

All Kiffin is known for is being a great recruiter. Here's the problem with that:

Phil Fulmer was a great recruiter. He just couldn't coach his top 5 recruited class.

2. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Problem was Fulmer wasn't consistently getting Top 5 classes anymore. Kiffin was decent OC at USC as well. We will see what happens, but the staff he put together is damn impressive. No arguements there.

3. KY_Titans7

KY_Titans7 Guest

I think it will take 2 or 3 years for Kiffin to really find his stride as HC of the Vols. Hopefully this will be the year the Cats finally beat the Vols!!!

4. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I hope the DC in waiting is already a consideration as well. I can't imagine the old man putting in more than a couple of seasons. I think he's just here to implement a system and turn it over.

5. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Maybe. Could be he gets engergized and stays 3-4 years. Who knows. But it is a great staff and word is there may be another surprise addition, but not sure it will pan out.

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Wow. Kiffin added another coach. Mitch Browning. Considered to be top OL coach and Running game guru. Was OC and OL at U of Minn. when they had Barber and Maroney. Then moved on last year to Syracuse...a horrible team. Went from dead last in rushing to 5th in rushing in BE. Almost 100 more yards per game. What is most amazing about this? He was hired as a Graduate Assistant. How do you get a guy who has coached under Glen Mason at Ohio State (when Mason was assistant), Kansas and Minn. for GA money? You let someone else pay it. Cuse fired their HC and the new coach let go of all previous regime coaches. Cuse still owes Browning money on his contract. So able to "live on" GA money since still have a buyout....wow.

7. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Browning seems to be a great move by Kiffin. IMO, Browning is the best addition to the offensive staff. If Chaney can replicate what he did at Purdue, and Browning can get the running game churning then this team could be scary good.

I don't know what Kiff's telling these guys, but damn he knows how to sell.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I'm definately not a Vol fan but it does seem like Lane Kiffin is putting together a pretty good staff. It's all about talent in college and he's got some solid recruiters with Ed Orgeron and Lance Thompson... I will admit it's more fun to hate the Vols when their good and I bet they get things turned around pretty fast there.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I don't suppose Kiffin will ask for an adjustment to those Vol home duds. That orange makes my eyes cross..
    At least some black around the number ala the road jerseys - sumthin.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well, when you think about it, it's a great opportunity for coaches and recruiters. UT has all of the necessary elements to be a national heavyweight, the money, the size, the support. It's a rare moment when they can blow the staff up and start over. Give them a couple of years of good recruiting, and UT should be an SEC contender again, and possibly a top ten national team again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar