Keyshawn Johnson - lets get him!!!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NYTitansFan, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Wanna know whats funny.

Key had more catches then all of our receivers on our current roster combined last season

2. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

I'm thinking the Super Chargers will be the landing spot for Key.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

KJ has kinda settled down into a 70rec. / 800yd / 6td receiver
    while it's not quite Pro Bowl caliber - at least there's some consistency there - and it's currently better than what we currently have on roster

watching KJ during the draft I did notice quite a few referrences to his team and how he thought certain players might help them out, and the Jarrett pick for instance brought out alot of his "ME" aspect

but I took it as though he was willing to help some young guys develop and settle into the league and help his team to get to the Championship

whether or not that was all a front, I'm not sure
    I find it ironic that Carolina released just days after

Mike has said in post-draft interviews that WR is still a position that may see at lest one more player added to it. So, Keyshawn is not out of the question

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

A little clarity...

Keyshawn is the perfect kind of guy to get (as a player). He's old and doesn't have a lot of time left. Most teams are set at WR (we're not) and him being unceremoniously dumped works to our favor and will lower his contract demands a bit. Our best bet is to either show him the upside (he'll be VY's favorite target even after Givens comes back), he should be our favorite red zone weapon, and he can prove just how valueable a run blocking big possession WR with excellent hands can be...and then he can field offers in the off-season and REALLY go where he wants to. You might be able to sell him on the fact that our D will have one major hole plugged by Griffin and we were a S and good WR away from making the plaoffs last year...we got the S in the draft....HE'S the WR we need.

I'd offer him a 1yr 1mil contract that's guaranteed. If he needs more give him some incentives (nothing crazy). [I would consider paying him more...but we need to have some cap room for a Kris Jenkins and or a DE. Plus, we need to sign a few of our own guys long term.]

Plus...everyone loves Nashville!

That's the sell!

The negatives with Keyshawn are that he can be a selfish player which shows even more when he's NOT getting the ball AND the team is losing. Keshawn's much happier getting ther ball a moderate amount when the team's winning. He'll be our #1 target and VY's new best toy on the field because he's BIG and has excellent hands. Plus, when VY runs you can just about count on one pancake block in the secondary. Keyshawn...like TO...does go all out ON THE FIELD!

While Keyshawn could take reps away from some of our younger guys...we have no #1 WR and BJones has shown signs of being a nice #2 but even that is far from certain. We didn't draft a WR in rnds 1 or 2 so we have a need. Keyshawn's production last year (as a 2nd WR to SSmith) was better than any WR we've had since Bennett's production THREE YEARS AGO!!!

I'm of the opinion that if one of our young WR's is talented enough, he'll work his way in and prove it on the field (we do go to 3 and 4 WR sets). The only guys this could really hurt would be Roydell or Roby who could be released...but they haven't shown half as much as Keyshawn.

And are we likely to find as good a WR as Keyshawn on the open market before the season starts? No. We'll see guys who didn't live up to their potential or old/less productive vets.

And the speed thing is not important. BJones has speed and will see more single coverage as teams will be more likely to double Keyshawn to stop a first down, than double Jones because of his speed. Think about it...if you were defending the Titans on 3rd and long, what are you worried about most...VY running for it, Keyshawn catching it...and then BJones.

And lets not underestimate the USC connection. Fisher knows Keyshawn and knows we need him. The problem is...we're not really on Keyshawn's radar right now...but I'd like to see him playing FOR us rather than against us.

I don't buy into the leadership thing as that's a two way street. He's selfish off the field but a very productive and hard working player on it. If we grab him for a year (maybe 2), it will only HELP us with very little risk!

To me, it's a no brainer to try and get him. Whether he wants to come or play for an inexpensive contract is another story altogether!

BTW, I'm all for assembling as much talent as you can and letting the best players start, the next best backup, the next best can get a normal job like everyone else. If a young WR's not good enough to start...he's not good enough to start. If he can't beat out Keyshawn or be as good, he shouldn't be starting anyway. And it's very unlikely we'll find 3 WR's on this team that are as good as or better than Keyshawn. I'm not sure we have 1 (excluding Givens ATM because he's hurt).

Gut

5. TitanBlitz

TitanBlitz Camp Fodder

Chargers have said they have no interest...

6. Nine

Nine Starter

I'm guessing the Titans probably aren't close to the top of Keyshawn's wish list.....he's looking to get one more ring before he steps down. (Hard to blame him for that).

That said, the guy has been the picture of consistency over his career. He has caught at least one pass in every single game going back to 2001, and usually 4-5 catches per game. (I couldn't find week-by-week numbers beyond 2001...for all I know, he might have a 200 game streak going). This is a sharp contrast to a guy like Drew Bennett, who might have 8 catches in one game, but then only five catches over the next three games combined. (And, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, he's missed only three games in eleven years.....amazingly durable for a WR.)

Is Keyshawn the ideal solution for the Titans? Probably not. But they could certainly do a lot worse.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

We just need to find some people with no brains to make that decision. Shouldn't be too hard..........

:duckrun:

8. TitanFanBudMan

TitanFanBudMan Professor

GUT...I fully agree with you 100% on this one.

9. jfrancis04

jfrancis04 AKA jonboy_the_titan

This is a no brainer. I really don't understand why the Titans FO isn't going all out. Do we ever go all out for any player? I'm not even getting my hopes up b/c we never do the things that "make sense." Come on Reinfeldt...please bring in Keyshawn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar