Kevin Mawae on Vince Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanium, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

I found the comments made by Kevin Mawae this morning on 104.5 interesting about Vince Young

He said that Vince needs to become a student of the game. He's a young quarterback, but he needs to know when a play is called and needs to change it based on what he sees or knows about the opposing lineup.

He went into great detail to make the point that Vince has a lot of learning to do and he needs to take this offseason and improve the mental part of his game.

Has anyone noticed how many times Vince has been shown during a game just sitting on the bench by himself? Why isn't he standing on the sideline with a headset on looking over photos or discussing things with coaches?

I think Vince needs to grow up a lot, which he will in time, but he needs to realize that he's the man, and as the man you've got to put in more effort and that includes studying and doing whatever it is to make you and your team better.

2. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Did you also hear what he said about LenDale? That he should commit himself to an off-season program so he's in shape when he comes in and not 40 pounds overweight.

3. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

I was also surprised. Pretty "Non-PC" statements this AM.

4. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

I missed it, but it sounds like he was being truthful? At least compared to the same bs excuses we hear each and every week from Fisher after a loss.

5. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

That is what this team has been needing for some time. Mawae says it like it is...and no one can argue.

I found it very curious that Vince was just sitting by himself on the bench Sunday. He wasn't sitting with the receivers discussing what he or they saw on the last series...I don't see him and Kerry and the QB coach going over the photos. He just seemed to me like he was over there pouting.

Immaturity is to play for sure, but he has to realize that while he may have the talent to be great, right now he is not and he still has a lot of work to do in his passing skills and his ability to read an NFL defense.

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I'd like to have heard that whole thing.

I also wonder if these could be Mawae's last comments as a Titan? :suspect:

7. Textitan

Textitan Camp Fodder

I am just as unhappy with the results and how the offense has looked much of the year. But in all fairness, those of you questioning Vince on why he was just sitting on the bench and not looking at photos or talking with his recievers, unless you had a different view of the game than I did I think that is an unfair comment. Unless you had a TV angle that only stayed on the Titans sideline so you could track Vince's movements then I do not think you can say anything. I remember on shot very well, after Vince was thrown to the ground and the medical staff came out, when TV got back from commercials, it showed Vince going over the photos of the last drive with a coach. And as much of a student of the game Peyton Manning is, there are numerous shots of Manning during Colts games while the defense is on the field where Manning is standing holding his helmet with a ball cap on watching the game. Does Vince need to improve, ABSOLUTELY YES! Should we take Mawae's critique of Vince seriously, absolutely yes (more importantly Vince should take it seriously). However, I do not think you can make the general comments about him "pouting" and not doing all of these things without knowing for sure.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

My thing is, you never see him call an audible, and in the limited number of games I saw, I have to question if he is allowed to call an audible. You don't see very many young qb's calling audibles, if ever. I mean I can see a distinct difference from the early Peyton to the new Peyton in this regard. He looks like he is having a seizure out there now with all his gyrations.

Therefor, my take is that Mawae is saying that if he studies the game, then he can make the adjustments like Peyton is allowed to do. My experience has been that very few qb's are allowed to make audibles, and even fewer young ones. Most of these plays, especially in the WC, are scripted.

If Vince is allowed to audible, then sure, I will trust Mawae, but I doubt that is the case.

9. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I'm kind of surprised by these comments. Obviously we all know vince needs to work on the mental aspect of the game, along with any other young qb. For those saying vince just sits on the sideline and pouts, how do you even go about assuming that? Yesterday they showed 3 or 4 shots of him on the sideline and one he was looking over plays. I find it interesting mawae coming out and saying this because obviously you need to help your young players but you don't need to call him out to the media. I mean when mawae cost the team a few turnovers this year by not being able to get the snap off none of the players came out and said mawae needs to work on that.

10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Up until this year the game has come very easy for Vince and he had fun. I could tell that he didn't have fun this year.

I agree with Mawae, Vince needs to become a better student of the game, but more important he needs to mature and realize that nothing is going to be given to him on this level. He has the tools and the leadership skills, he displayed them for 4 years at Texas and his first year in the NFL, but he has never had to deal with the issue of him being the reason for losing before.

The Titans need to give him some help, I could tell that it weighs heavily on him that he can't really rely on his playmakers to do the job. This does not mean he doesn't need to improve himself because we all know that he needs to really work on his passing game, but he cannot do it by himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar