"Kerry's our starter. He gives us the best chance to win."

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titansfan89, Oct 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Actually that was the smartest move Fisher's had all season. Here's why: it put the idea of the outside run game in the heads of the Texan defenders going into the 2nd quarter. Jeff wanted them to stew on the idea of C.J. busting one for 90+. Until then the best play C.J. had was a 6-yard gain up the middle. So for the whole 1st quarter the Texans had C.J. right where they wanted him (5 carries for 19 yards). That's bad going into the 2nd quarter for the Titans. And so being on the left hash with :01 to go Jeff called a timeout. To me I had my idea and Jeff starting smirking and saying 'come here, just come here' to Vince and then he actually did what I was thinking (run the option). I have to say this was crazy, because Ive been second guessing Fisher all season, but on that one we were thinking the same exact thing. Pretty cool I guess because it did work for a 17-yard gain, and it was the spark we needed.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I just about died when Gruden praised fisher for "sticking with the program" after 6 losses.

Another example of how fisher is going to get the credit for the turnaround and none of the blame for 0-6 just like in 2002 when we started 1-4 and 06 when we started 0-5. I see a trend here.

We did not "stick with the program". We changed QBs because the owner demanded we do that and then dinger changed the whole offense. My God do not give fisher any credit for how vince is playing fisher had no confidence in him at all!

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That's nonsense it was a mistake in judgment. The success of the next play had nothing to do with a timeout. Why would they have to call a timeout to run an option play?

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I know. I wanted to throw up listening to Gruden go on about this. It's actually hilarious how little the MNF crew seems to know about what's going on with the teams they are covering. One of the guys also said something to the effect of how huge it was for us to get Nick Harper back. :ha:

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

RollTide,
    To say "the success of the next play had nothing to do with a timeout" is unjustified. If they hadn't stopped the clock with that time out then we go into the 2nd quarter cold on 2nd & 4 with C.J. playing halfass football (not terrible, but not the best scenario for us). We needed C.J. to be involved to win. He was involved and we did win. That little extra time Houston had to 'think' about C.J. made a difference. After that 17-yard gain off the option play, Vince was able to use it in the red zone setting up a TD by White. In the NFL you need to be careful not to over use something, and they picked the perfect time to use it following that timeout. After pounding the rock up the middle Houston is thinking stuff the middle, then we call timeout and go away from the middle. Good play calling on our side of the field for once.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I honestly don't know what you are talking about they were not cold. I never heard such a thing.

CJ wasn't getting yards because there was little blocking. The passing game helped open up the running game not a time out.

Nobody takes a strategic timeout like that in football. This is football not basketball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar