Keepers For Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Hammer, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny

kenny Starter

The players they were missing are not real impact players at this point in their careers.... T. Pol is not the Safety he used to be, Jarvis Jones has not been the star they expected, and Shazier could be the biggest missing link they had. However, by that logic we were missing our best offensive play maker in Walker. The coverage wasn't blown on Washington's TD. Washington juked the defender out of his shoes and Mett threw a perfect pass hitting him in stride.

(I will say that any of the players they were missing would be an upgrade to their respective positions on our defense.)

I am not ready to say Mett is the man, but I don't think we should take anything away from his performance tonight. He was playing on a big stage in his 3rd start. He played well. No reason to knock him.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It was blown. It was quarters coverage. No reason to jump anything short as your only responsibility is to not allow anything to get behind you. They took advantage of a third string corner who is only playing because Ike Taylor is hurt and the other guy got benched.

I didn't record the game because I really have no interest in going back and watching anything this season, but it looked like a lot of Mett's completions were in the holes of very basic zone coverages. Coverages that Pittsburgh does not typically make a living on but had no choice to play because of so many starters out. The longer pass to Wright after the face mask penalty, for example, was a vanilla cover-2.

3. kenny

kenny Starter

So basically you are saying that because Mett took advantage of what was presented to him his play was not good??? I thought that was what he was supposed to do. Find the weakness in the coverage and get the ball out. He played a playoff team on MNF and you will not give him credit for a good game? Maybe you are completely right. Maybe he did have a good game because of soft coverage. Would you rather he struggled as the rest of our QB group has against any coverage?? I am not crowning the guy as the next Manning. However, he had a good game. Why can you not give the kid credit?

It blows my mind that every week no matter the situation, someone is going to pick apart a good game. We haven't had many good performances this year. This kid came in and had a good game. There is no reason to put him down because he took what he was given.

On that deep pass to Washington; how many times have we seen a guy wide open like that and the ball be over thrown?? Several. Mett delivered it to him on the spot. Again, I am not saying he is the guy or the next coming, but give the guy a little credit. He is a rookie. He made mistakes, if you expect a rookie not to make mistakes then you are wrong. IMO you could not ask for a lot better from a rookie than what Mett gave you tonight. There was a lot to pick on, but there were positives as well. We know this season is lost. No one is happy about it. That does not mean that we have to pick apart every positive play the rookie makes.

4. kenny

kenny Starter

I appreciate the back and forth discussion. I see your points. I am not discrediting them. I just saw a bit of growth & progress from Mett in this game. In the biggest game he has ever played, he made some nice plays. I do not think that should be over looked. He may be horrible next week. Who knows??

5. Rudad

Rudad Starter

Say what you want good or bad about Mett, the dude has confidence and is tough. That's more than any other QB on our roster for now. He looked the part to me last night. The pick six, you know he had to be nervous. But he came back and delivered. The throw over the middle to wright which was behind him, he has a DL at his knees and couldn't step into it. The good thing to me about last night was he wasn't overwhelmed, didn't hold the ball too long, didn't take a sack. I was impressed. Progress.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. titanswinnow

titanswinnow Special Teams Standout

Do yall just have an inability to be happy about anything? Name another rookie 6th round draft pick QB that goes on the field and does as well as Mett. Tom Brady you say.... he wasnt thrown in the fire his first year

• Boring Boring x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Well since you asked,
    Jeff Garcia went undrafted in 1999, then came in vs the Titans in his 1st NFL start and tore us up with 3 scores.

8. kenny

kenny Starter

I was thoroughly impressed. Only his 3rd start, Big stage: MNF, has the best night of any rookie QB on MNF EVER!

I get it. We are loosing and it's hard to be positive with our record. However, if you really want the team to be better in the future you have to look at the positives we are getting. We cannot cut the entire roster & do not need to. There are rookies on this team making contributions. That is unheard of from this team! Williamson, Lewan, Mett, and even Sankey. I know he (Sankey) didn't have a stellar running game, but he looked better as a returner than anyone we have seen this year IMO.

There are things to build off of here. Fans that really want this team to improve will see some of those positives as hard as it is right now. Believe me I know it's tough, but if Mett can keep playing like, and build off it, then the kid has a shot.

Dumping QBs after 3 games is ot going to get us anywhere. We have to give him time to learn, grow, and mature in the offense.

9. kenny

kenny Starter

Cmon JCBrave, are you really saying that Mett didn't have a good game????

And in this game, the way he was playing, if the defense held up against the run do you think he would of had a chance to win? That's the question. If the defense does it's job and Mett gets the ball back, I see a real chance for him to win this game. What more can you ask for??

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Rookies have fooled us before.

Chris Johnson
    Kenny Britt
    Colin McCarthy
    Vince Young...

I like Williamson and most of our other rookies, but its too soon to bank on these guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar