Kamerion Wimbley asked to take Paycut

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titans1839, Apr 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

Nah. CJ will play well. I really believe his self-perception as a play maker is really important to him. He won't see as many carries as he thinks he will though. Most of the teams looking at him have at least one back worthy of keeping in the rotation.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

[​IMG]

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You dont agree?

4. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I don't. They are getting a form of compensation in having their degrees paid for. This is a privilege not a right. I do agree they are being exploited but it's a small price to pay for a free education that's likely valued between 20 and 50k per year.

If the athlete is not comfortable with their level of compensation or being exploited they are always free to either drop out or attempt to pay their own way through grants and loans like the rest of us less fortunate did.

I understand that when in the situation it can feel like you don't have much of a choice but the choices are there, unpleasant though they may be. As a slave you were born into unrelenting servitude, lived your life in it, and ultimately died in it. The only other option you had was to attempt to run away which more often than not led to death from starvation/dehydration/ exposure or being executed if caught. The two are far from comparable even in philosophical terms.

Choice+ Compensation= No slavery to me. There might be some exceptions but I can't think of any right now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

What did slave owners do to their slaves when they broke their ridiculous rules? They punished them right..?

Well thats what the NCAA does to their players for making money on the side..

Why cant a guy create income on his own likeness?

6. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

The difference is the players agreed to these punishments by signing these scholarships. They legitimately consented. Do you know of many african american slaves who consented to slavery? By taking money on the side the players are breaking the terms of the agreement they WILLFULLY signed so they are subject to said punishment. I don't think it's right and it's why I would love to see things change but as things currently stand these guys gotta abide by the rules the agreed to. The punishment angle isn't a good route to go IMO. Parents often punish their children but it's not exactly slavery no matter how "slavey" you feel when doing the dishes for the 4th night in a row lol.

7. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

I actually do think the NCAA is exploiting their athletes. It's not like in the NFL where these guys are actually making millions.

These kids are getting what? A 4 year scholarship? Not really that big of deal when comparing what NCAA gets from these guys. It's not slavery by a long shot and to suggest it is offensive to those that had to go through it.

It is exploitation, and extremely unfair.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. TBaker34

TBaker34 Starter

I dont think the athletes in the NCAA should get paid but I think they should be able to make money off their autographs or appearances at different places

9. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Let me ask you a question. What if your boss and his boss and all their colleagues were making millions JUST because you came to work everyday and did your job. Don't you think you should get a fair cut?

10. TBaker34

TBaker34 Starter

I completely get that. But I also understand the point that they are getting free education. I wouldnt be upset if they got paid but I do understand the argument against it at the same time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar