just pay haynesworth what he wants.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

110%

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Vince Young's salary & pro rated bonus money(PBM).

08' $1.5m salary $2.46m PBM. Total cap hit = $3.96m

09' $2.16m salary $2.46m PBM. Total cap hit = $4.62m

10' $7.5m salary $2.46m PBM. Total cap hit = $9.96m

11' $8.5m salary $2.46m PBM. Total cap hit = $10.96m

Next year Young will cost us $4.62m. If we cut him next season he would cost us $7.38m in PBM. In other words,the real cost of getting rid of him is only $2.76m in 09.The difference between his 08' money & 3 years of accelerated PBM.

Cut him after next year & it will cost us $4.92m all in.

According to Titans Central's cap page we currently have about $9.5m & carried $13m in dead money into this year.Most of that being from Adam Jones.

We may have about $25m available next year before any rise in the cap.

Young will not be on the roster in 10' at the above rates but in the short term his contract isn't going to be a factor in our ability to re-sign Haynesworth & Bulluck.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Just looking at his age yes but he's never had a serious injury & hasn't lost any his ability yet.Compare him to Ray Lewis(33) & Derrick Brooks(35) & how well they're still playing IMO Keith is well worth a 4 year deal.

Unless our #1 pick next year is an OLB I think he'll get the contract extension.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No way I give him a four-year deal. I'm not saying we don't try to keep him but the days of teams throwing big, long-term contracts at players in their 30's are gone, IMO. And I think he's going to be looking for the last big payday (and rightly so).

A factor here is Fowler and Tulloch. Will Tulloch be ready to step in at OLB and Fowler back to MLB? Is the difference in that combination that much of a dropoff from Bulluck/Tulloch?

Again, if the Titans are a contender and have the cap under control, maybe a three-year deal can work. But I do think Bulluck has lost a little speed and will that much more by the end of '09. His experience makes up for a lot of it but a lot can happen between now and the end of his contract.

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Where'd he go? Seems to me that he's crawling around on the ground after at least one play every week almost. Won't be too long before he's gonna have to miss a game or two... I'm really apprehensive about signing him to a huge deal. He is absolutely the best DT in the league right now, but he is injury prone and we haven't seen this level of work ethic outside of a contract year. If we pay this man 8.5 mill a year then we will be rolling some serious dice on the outcome, hopefully we do and it works for the best though, guess we'll see...

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

This is a little off topic, but I've been meaning to mention it for forever. Albert goes out almost every game with some sort of "injury". He usually sits out for two or three plays and comes back in. Frankly, if he needs to do that once again to play at his best, I'm happy for it. If he misses significant game time this season, that's another matter, but I know that I never wince when I see Albert helped off the field, because he does it too much and he almost always comes back in.

7. GoTitans3801

I'm pretty sure that we won't go into an uncapped year. It may be rough and come down to the wire, but it'll get done. Everyone is making too much money for it to not work out.

Another thought is that we work out a deal for Albert and just franchise Bulluck. His worth will keep going down as he ages, maybe it would buy us some time.

Edit- I also think that we could give him a four year contract with the last year backloaded, so we could cut him or renegotiate then if we need to. He certainly won't be worth the same amount by then.

8. GoTitans3801

THANK YOU for finding this! After next year is clearly the time to make our decision there, and though it's almost certain that we keep him, it's interesting to think about.

Why do you say that he won't be on the roster in '10? 10 and even 11 million cap hit for a QB isn't really that high, especially once the cap keeps going up.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

$10-11m for a QB isn't high if he's a productive starting QB. At the moment Vince Young is neither. If he can't get it together enough in 09' to be able to protect the ball & manage a game I don't think he's ever going to do.

We're finally back to being a play off contender right at the time when numerous key players contracts are up for renewal after 08' & 09'.We may not be able to afford to carry an $11m backup.I wouldn't want to either.If he isn't trusted to start next season should we trust him as a back up.In 06' he was fun to watch but in football that's a lifetime ago.

Collins will not be back in 09' if he gets offered too much money elsewhere & Chris Simms is primed to step in for Collins. Fisher said last week that Simms was part of his long term plans. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a QB next year.

Plenty of speculation there but I do think 09' will be Young's last shot making in Tennessee.

10. GoTitans3801

I'd agree with that, except that I don't think Young will have to show very much improvement to keep his spot. He'll have to be average, if nothing more, and I would be surprised if he can't be just barely good enough to hang on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar