Julio Jones at #8 picking up buzz

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Riverman, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

He doesn't like SEC players remember?

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yeah, and me wanting Fairley at 8 shows your logic is trash.

3. Deuce Wayne

How many lists do I have to make on this forum to get you to stop asking for lists?? Really...

When I make that list you'll ask for another. I apologize that you can't analyze college players and wouldn't know Julio Jones from Jerry Rice without the guidance of ESPN.

I watch players and get a decent opinion as to what they are or aren't capable of. Hate me for doing that well, I guess- but if you'd actually watch games rather than listen to the ESPN hype machine you could do the same thing, I'm positive.

Who they drafted like Julio Jones?

Jamarcus Russell. A big "athletic" guy with 1 positive and 20 negatives. That's what Julio Jones is. He's fast.. he can't catch though. Uh oh... hard call here...

Darius Hayward Bey... remember him? Julio will join him at whatever pub he's at in 3 years.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

You're comparing Russell to Jones? hahahaha are you kidding me? Oh and all Bey has is speed. Besides speed, Julio is an upgrade in every way over Bey. Saying all Jones has is speed is pretty dumb considering Jones comes from a pro style offense, is a great run blocker, physical, great WR frame, playmaking ability, and a good route runner. Jones is far from just having one skill unlike Bey.

5. Deuce Wayne

Jones isn't a receiver, so please tell me what he has outside of speed....

yeah. And save that "he's a great blocker" garbage too, Jeff Fisher.

That's why our WRs always suck.

He is DHB. A big fast WR that sucks at receiving.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Deuce, I'm gonna give you a pass - it must be that time of the month.

You haven't heard of Julio because of the type of offense Alabama runs. Comparing Julio Jones to Jamarcus Russell is ridiculous. Jones is known for his work ethic, character and his toughness. The only legitimate knock on the guy is that he has had a few injuries- but even then he plays through them.

Watch the highlight youtube- you'll see him carrying 3-5 defenders with him for an extra 5-10 yards. Watch the interview with Mike Keith where he asks him what type of things he brings. Jones describes himself as a guy who can stretch the field but makes a specific point to state he move the chains (possession) receiver.

Like I said before, I won't be disappointed if we don't draft him as long as their is a BPA on the board (Quinn). And you should re-think your support of Fairley. The guy has had one really good year and character concerns aside, I'm not convinced he has the physique or work ethic to be be strong enough as an NFL DT.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Some of the mock drafts now have Jones going before our pick for what it is worth. I guess there are some analysts out there that see something in the kid. He probably won't be the Titans pick but Duece like to over emphasize his opinions to the point of being ridiculous. He is a superior route runner and polished WR to a guy liike Bey without question. He is physically like Britt and just like Britt occasionally drops a pass. But we have seen what Britt has done in the NFL and IMO Jones is a similar type player. No he isn't perfect but he is very good and in the mold of a guy like Bowe.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You guys scared of Bowers because of his knee not concerned that Jones has looked fragile?

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Oh, how great that would be. Although I think he'll be a good player, I just don't see a point in us drafting him.

If he's taken before #8, this could push someone like Patrick Peterson to us and would almost ensure Fairley would fall to 8 as well.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Bowers knee is a significant concern because the type of injury and the stress NFL play will place upon it. I don't see any way to coach him to reduce risk of re-injury. I'm just as concerned about Derrick Morgan's ability to recover from his surgery (KVB did it with worse injury- but he is a special motor case who worked his azz off during off-season.)

Jones' injuries are primarily smaller bone/ligament resulting primarily from odd hits from attempting to increase YAC. It is something that warrants deeper analysis, but IMO it doesn't impact his play especially if he can be coached when to stress for more yards. Clearly attepting to drag 3 -5 defenders in the NFL will get quickly land him on IR. He will need to learn when to go down and when to press (like CJ does).

He plays through those injuries so I think use of the term "fragile" isn't accurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar