Julio Jones at #8 picking up buzz

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Riverman, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see it. Britt is ready to break out and the Titans won't draft a WR at #8 unless they plan on making him the #1. They have too much invested in Nate Washington for him to sit the bench.

Damian Williams flashed some last year and Mariani might be ready to step in the slot.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

That article is on Bleacher Report, a site where anyone can sign up and write about anything. 99% of the writers are 13 year-old boys. If you search hard enough, you'll find a Bleacher Report article that links every single draft prospect to the Titans. I could go there right now and write an article about how the Titans are going to draft OJ Simpson at #8.

In other words, this doesn't really count as "picking up buzz."

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. TitanJeff

Having said that, Simpson's legs should be well-rested and he can still make the cut.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Break out of what prison?

As to paying Nate too much to not start? There are many #3 Wrs in this league who make the kind of money he makes. Julio would likely be our #3 as a rookie anyway.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There are only a handful of athletic freaks in this draft.

Cam Newton
    Patrick Peterson
    JJ Watt
    Julio Jones

Jones was an almost world class triple jumper in high school. His combine workout was just sick. My only concern would be his injury history with 3 broken bones in 5 years.

I don't consider the #1 Wr issue or having too much talent at that position as an issue. If Britt wants to pull his head out of his rectum and compete to be a stud then all the better for us.

As an athlete Jones is more than worth the 8th pick.

7. TitanJeff

Too many needs on defense.

8. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I agree. And if we are to take an offensive player at #8, it'll be a QB.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

In addition to what RT is saying, Julio Jones brings an AJ work ethic to the WR corps- something the Titans have been lacking since- well I can't remember when we've had a WR that brings the attitude for which Jones is known.

I don't see better talent being on the board. Honestly- I hope that Fairley is off board by our pick. I think he'll be a horrible professional and I fear that Tracy Rocker's inexperience in the NFL ranks is going to lead him to "over-sell" Fairley to the organization. IMO Fairly is Haynesworth all over again, with less physical talent.

I don't mind going defense with a guy like Quinn- but I just don't believe he is a physical freak and has the work ethic intanglibles that Julio does.

Britt is probably looking at a suspension when the CBA is settled. I think it's a very solid idea to have an NFL ready offensive weapon to complement what we already have, especially to stretch the field for CJ. Mariani MAY have the smarts/ethic of Jones, but not the skill. D. Williams is short of Julio in both departments. If Jones is there at #8 I guarantee you there won't a better player also on the board.

I just don't see a BPA if he's on the board and I don't support drafting on need (QB).

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

The thing that none of us know is how fed up with Britt the FO is. And it is my opinion that he is dangerously close to finding himself off the team. I don't expect it will happen because of this latest incident but if he screws up even one more time I think he's gone. This has to be weighing on the back of the minds of the Titans brass.

I realize we have a ton of defensive holes but the golden rule of drafting is BPA (The only exception to that I personally endorse is reaching slightly for a franchise QB). If Julio, or even AJ, is there at 8 and is the BPA on our board then the Titans should take him. Why take a lesser ranked defensive player over a BPA receiver (in the scenario where the WR actually is at the top of their board)? Especially with all the D-line talent in this draft. We could still get a very good DL with our 2nd round pick or by trading up into the end of the 1st.

And it isn't like we are exactly set at WR either. Britt is proving to have rocks for brains, can't stay out of trouble, and he missed 6.5 games last year. Not exactly the kind of guy I want to rely on as my #1 receiver. Don't get me wrong, he has all the talent in the world. But talent alone can only get you so far.

Then there's Damian Williams. Honestly, I'm a big fan and think he has a lot of potential. Still, the guy caught 16 balls last year. He hasn't really proven anything. Mariani is a good returner but he failed to catch a single pass last year. I don't see how anyone could say they're confident in his ability to step into the slot.

Washington... sigh. I don't even wanna go into it. But I will. Serviceable #2 but he's clearly not a long-term answer at WR for this team. I honestly expect 2011 to be his last year with the team. And I hate the idea that you have to start a guy just because of what he's getting paid. You should earn your spot on the field, not in the conference room when you sign your contract. If Washington is getting outplayed by another WR then it would be insanity to keep Wash as the starter. If you're serious about winning you have to put your best players out on the field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar