Jones Not Trying to Replace Haynesworth

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: The Titans have already taken the pressure off of second-year DT Jason Jones to replace the production from Albert Haynesworth. "I don’t feel any pressure. I don’t put any pressure on myself," Jones said. "I just try to go out there and get coached well and listen to the veterans on the team. I feel I have the ability to be a starter in the league." Defensive line coach Jim Washburn says he's dreaded being asked how the Titans would deal without Haynesworth question the entire off-season. "I dreaded this when he left, because every person was going to ask me what we’re going to do with Albert gone. I’m just going to coach the guys we’ve got and we’re going to be fine," Washburn said. "If Jason, Jacob [Ford] and Will [Hayes] step up we won’t miss anybody. We’ll roll on."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Good to know. 15 more pounds to disrupt opposing O lines with. Hopefully that won't come at a cost of some of his speed and shiftiness.
    I doubt he'll lose any speed. Can't wait to see what he does this season.

This tells me that Cecil may have Washburn switch players around whereever. I bet we see more of KVB lined up at DT, switched around with JJ who would be lined up at DE. I could also see them lining up in a 3-4 'look' with KVB playing out like a pass-rushing LB.
    I think Cecil will have this defense a lot more versatile than Schwartz did.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What would be the purpose of that? That would make no sense at all.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It's also contradictory to one of the reports in the Tennessean last week that Washburn said that his tackles would be tackles, and his ends would be ends. He implied that there will be LESS position shifting, not more.

5. kimberly

kimberly Camp Fodder

i really, really like jason jones! no, he is not gonna replace al, even if he really wanted to, but this guy has great work ethic and a motor that just won't quit! i love his passion and his attitude, it was very reflective in his play last year, the sky is the limit for jason!!!!!

6. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

Did you even watch a game last season? Multiple times I saw KVB and Al swapped. Al was playing end and KVB was playing tackle.]

The purpose? You really can't see it?
    Here...
    1. to confuse the offense. same reason the O lines up in different formations. I guess by your logic, the slot WR should never, ever be lined up anywhere but the slot?
    2. to create mismatches. the smaller end might have a time with the C and OT, but the DT lined up on the smaller OG, especially if he's quick would give the OG a hard time.
    3. in case you forgot, KVB is only an inch shorter and actually about 5 lbs heavier than our current DT, Jason Jones.
    4. I shudder to think that you think that KVB has absolutely no idea how to play tackle, and that Jones has no idea how to play end.
    It's not something you would want to do every play (much like blitzes), but it's good to give them a different look every now and then.

I'm chalking that up to erroneous/contradictions by the media, or Fisherspeak.
    So I guess he made that decision in the off season, because like I mention above, Al and KVB were lined up juxtaposed on more than one occasion.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Jones is his own player. Not til two years ago did Haynesworth show up. I was expecting much more from Haynesworth four, five, and six years ago. Sad he developed with us only to bounce for the first offer over ours. On the other hand look what Jason Jones did in a few games. I'm excited about this guy.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

for same reason we've been going it the last two years when haynesworth was lined up at right end and KVB at DT?

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Sure Al and KVB were lined up juxtaposed. The work means side by side which I believe happened very in the past.

In reference to lining up AH on the end the strategy wasn't to do that to get KVB on an OG as much as it allows the Titans to use KVB on a stunt or to have AH collapse the pocket from the outside. Either way the startegy wasn't and won't be the same if they did it with JJ and KVB.

10. some chris js

some chris js touchdown titans

needs to watch more titan games

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar