John Abraham is better than Super Mario!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by satkins2252, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I don't know why people would be against bringing Abraham in. We DO need a long term fix, but that fix does not have to come THIS year. You typically don't get a whole lot of sacks out of rookie DE's, so signing Abraham to a 2 year deal would be ideal. He'd be great for the rotation of DE's and could even help off the bench if our pick pans out in the future.

Mario is a long shot. Abraham would be cheaper which would mean more money to address other areas.

We have the talent to be contenders NEXT year. We've addressed the safety position (stop-gap), and if we address DE in FA, then we really don't have any glaring holes heading into next season if we acquire a C.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. paraconspiracy

paraconspiracy long time browser no more

This is a really unfair comparison.
    You start counting for one guy in his prime and another at his rookie year... not to mention mario was on IR for 11 games last year.

if you start counting sack/game % ofter that (and a much better gage of where they are currently) mario is at 73.5 and abraham is at 69.9

not to mention one is just entering his prime and the other could fall off the cliff at any time.

abraham also has this weird pattern of 2 good seasons and one horrible one... the horrible one is due next. add in his propensity to disappear in important games and you have a guy who is worth about half of what he is asking.

if i could get abraham and another guy like mincey for the same price as mario - cool. abraham alone instead of mario? no way.

3. griff33daddy

griff33daddy Starter

i rather offer mario money...he will be here longer and for maybe a few extra million depending on what abraham get....mario 5 year 85 mil with 25 guaranteed

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

1. I don't care what he did last year, when you get up in age who knows when you drop off.

2. Saying "This is actually what the Titans would do" and "Why the hate this could actually happen", well why do you think we're in this situation in the first place!?

3. Abraham is asking for a lot, why not just spend a little more on Mario? Who we know will be a great player for us.

4. Freeney >

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Mario was hurt for most of last year and had 8.5 and 9.5 sacks the two years before (wow). Sorry but less than double digit sacks doesn't cut it when you are paying $16 mil for a guy. Realistically we could probably get Abraham in the $10 mil range. $6 mil is quite a bit of difference (like another quality player difference) and after three years when Mario is turning 30, has had 3 disappointing years of less than 10 sacks fans might be wishing they did sign Abraham.

Also, the shorter (and cheaper) contract we would pay Abraham or Freeney is actually not a bad thing. Sign a guy to a meg 6yr deal and he turns out to be less than you hoped and you are still stuck in 3 years with significant dead money on the table. Sign a guy like Abraham to a two year deal and draft a DE this year and next you can be in decent shape when he is leaving (not to mention Morgan will be ready to be paid if he is worthy).
    Mario is starting to get in the fantasy level for some of you. He hasn't been the dominate stud everyone keep imagining him to be specially the last three years.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

I dont think the Abraham haters want to admit how productive he actually is. Mario is just too attractive to them.

I would rather sign Brandon Carr than either of them. I cant believe the Titans are letting Finnegan walk. Idiots!

7. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

First off good job of neglecting his 12 and 14 sack seasons and last year he had 5 sacks in 5 games...if you think adding a 34 year old DE is a good idea then that's all good but you act like Mario is a sure thing to disappoint. What's more likely, Mario to fail as a Titan or Abraham to hit that wall? Now I would be happy to have Abraham on this team for the reasons you stated but when someone gives me a choice between the 2 then I'm going Mario, everyday.

How do you know those picks are actually going to be a factor? Your whole case is focused around Abraham and drafting other guys but Abraham is almost done and this philosophy doesn't work like some think. This strategy is what the Titans always do and look at the position we're in. I'll take Mario and a couple other solid guys and not have to worry about DE anymore unless you want a rental and then be right back here stressing about which DE to draft next year.

So you would rather sign a CB when we have two good players at that position than take an all-pro at our biggest position of need?

I'm not a "hater" it's just dumb to try and say we should have a guy about to hit the wall than Mario Williams, saving money is the only argument that can be made.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I'm not worried about being stuck with a bunch of dead cap money if we did decide to part ways with Mario after 3-4 yrs because the way most of the contracts are being written now the guaranteed money all hits in the first 3 yrs of the contract besides the signing bonus that gets spread out over the life of the contract. More teams are using guaranteed base salary in the early years. I would also think that Mario's agent wouldn't mind structuring a deal with a huge option bonus in 3 yrs so that Mario has the chance to hit the open market again when he is 30yrs old.

If we are sticking with our current defensive philosophy then you have to take a chance on Mario because a guy with his size and athletic ability doesn't come along very often. If we are going to go to a smaller quicker DE then they are easier to find. It is such a rare case that you have the chance to sign a guy that fits your system to a T and is in the prime of his career.

9. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

If we can get a guy like Abraham or another free agent DE like him would not be bad for this team. It would be nice to get a proven pass rusher on this team to mentor our young defensive line.

10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

I'm not exactly for paying an aged DE 10 mil. Thats stupid. I must agree, unless he can bring his demands down, there is more sense in spending a couple more dollars on Mario.

I'm still not sold on the idea that we are going to make a splash on FA. We sign stop gaps in FA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar