John Abraham is better than Super Mario!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by satkins2252, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I'm hoping for Dwight Freeney if/when he gets released.

#1: Mario
    #2: Freeney
    #3: Abraham

Freeney JUST turned 32 last month, Abraham is turning 34 in May. 2 year difference. I'd love Freeney to a 2 or 3 year contract, and would be MUCH cheaper than Mario.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

eek that says 12 mil. I am starting to wonder what Williams will get now. Jones is going to be real happy as well.

4. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

0% chance that him or Jones get what they're looking for.

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I don't know why so many posters are jumping down your throat, I don't see this as a bad idea at all at the right price. He's still productive and will be for another 2 years. Just because he may only have that long left doesn't make it a bad move. It's not that easy to fill holes in this league, we wanted to fix the DL this past season and failed at it. Who's to say we're not gonna fail again? We don't know if our 1st round draft pick is gonna bust. Signing a guy like Abraham is more of a sure bet IMO.

Of course I'd prefer Mario, but I surely wouldn't be angry if we signed Abraham while we continue to look for our next big DE through the draft.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Maybe, but it is possible. It is a fairly small market for pass rushers and a team needing a piece or two may not mind shelling out that money. I doubt he gets $12million but I think he wants more than what we are willing to spend for him.

7. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

My thing is if we are going to spend that much money, why not get someone who can be productive for the next 4-5 years, instead of hopefully 2.

JMO

8. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

For the right price, sure. The Titans have to bring in a veteran DE (and I absolutely believe they will). I don't care if the guy is 34, a bit past his prime and will be retired by the time the Titans are ready to compete for a Super Bowl. That is irrelevant.

This team is going to have Derrick Morgan and a 1st rounder from the upcoming draft playing DE for it next season. A vet presence would be huge. Some leadership for the young guys. A player who is still good enough to motivate them.

In many ways, the development of Morgan and the soon-to-be-drafted player will determine whether the Titans will become a legit contender or not. If Abraham is the guy to show them the tricks of the trade and give them some leadership, I'm all for it.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

All Ive tried to point out is that over their careers they have been nearly equally productive except that Abraham has been slightly better. If I were to choose from the two I would take the cheaper one. If we sign him for two years which is probably what hes expecting(a 2-3 year contract) then thats 9-10 mil of cap space that will be available when he leaves and we already have our replacements in place.

Hes just a short term, dependable solution in a year where there aren't many dependable solutions.

Oh yeah, those that keep using the "hes too old" and "hes over his prime" excuses should understand that he has been extremely productive and has not shown any real signs of declining. He has however become less prone to injury.

I believe Freeney is only a season younger than Abraham as well.

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Abraham could be great for a team who is just one small step away from contending for a championship.

We need a lot of help to make a run at the big game. Adding Abraham would help, but we need long term solutions on the d-line, not a one year guy.

Abraham would be a great fit with a team like the Bears. Put him opposite Julius Peppers and you have what would be a nightmare for QBs. Plus, the Bears were 7-3 and ready to make another deep playoff run before Cutler went down.

I'm not an Abraham hater. I just hate the idea of us literally wasting $10mil. We didn't want to keep Finnegan for one year at $10.6mil, so why would we want to keep an old man for the same price - for one season?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar