Joey Bosa(2016) vs Derrick Morgan(2011)..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Since there are some who still think Bosa is a viable 1st pick prospect why not compare him to our last 1st rd pick at the same position? Compare them as prospects side by side!

Morgan was a 16th pick, the team said they were surprised he was still on the board then. He has been a good player for us but not a hall of fame type player. Not one season with double digit sacks for example. Bosa has to be definitely better as a prospect to even consider him at #1.

Size:

Morgan 6'3 266
    Bosa 6'5 269

A slight edge for Bosa with the height but not the size of a Peppers, Mario Williams or JJ Watt.

Timed speed:

Morgan 4.79 40--- 1.64 split.
    Bosa 4.86 40--- 1.68 split.

Edge for Morgan. Based on this alone you would never use a top 10 pick on Bosa.

Overall athleticism:

Morgan 34" vertical, 7.12 cone, 21 reps
    Bosa 32" vertical, 6.89 cone, 24 reps

Slight edge for Bosa because of the cone time which is elite for his size and body type. The rest of Bosa's workout was not extra ordinary. Both men needed to get a little stronger up top.

On field production: last 2 college seasons

Bosa, 106 tackles-18.5 sacks-37.5 TFL
    Morgan 106 tackles-19.5 sacks-29 TFL

I'm calling this a wash. Morgan was defensive player of the year in the ACC and had fewer high draft picks around him.

Scheme fit:

Both were 4-3 ends in college. Even.

Character:

Both are good kids without major character issues.

Summary-You can give Bosa a slight edge for his height and over all athleticism. Love the cone time. That said he is hardly definitively better.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

High school recruits..

Rivals ranked both in the top 10 at their positions. Both were 4 star players.

Rivals

Rivals

What is interesting to note is both were listed by rivals at 270 lbs. You can always wonder how accurate that is but it seems that neither player put on much weight while in college.

This is a negative for Bosa who being the longer player would seem to have had more potential for growth. fact is he hasn't gotten much bigger in the OSU strength program.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

This class is kind of soft. I've seen a lot of people say that Bosa is more of a top 10'ish guy than a top pick guy, but again this class is soft. Morgan was kind of the same, then dropped a bit on draft night.

Anyway, the top college teams that I follow closely are Penn State and Georgia Tech, so I paid attention to both through their career. Morgan was really solid, but Bosa was more likely to explode and be on the highlight reel.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Another interesting thing. Morgan's arms are almost an inch longer. 34 1/2 to 33 2/3.

Something to think about if you think Bosa can play inside.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Yeah, I've been making the comparisons to Morgan for three months.

Good job.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Show the post.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

January 15, 2016.

Bosa Time | Page 13 | goTitans | a Tennessee Titans Fan Forum

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I watched Bosa vs Michigan St last night. Yeah...I'm not liking him at 1st overall.

9. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

2011 - Let's draft Derrick Morgan as 4-3 end.

2014 - Derrick Morgan makes a transition to a 3-4 defense.

The #1 argument against Bosa is the transition to 3-4 -- but no where was it declared that Derrick Morgan couldn't play it coming from a 4-3 system in the ACC....

The #2 coming from those who can't notice rushing patterns in an MSU game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar