Joe Paterno out at Penn State

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Shanvhere, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Correct.

So then it becomes Joe's responsibility.

But when Joe tells the AD... it's not the AD's responsibility. Still, just Joe's. Because he's Joe.

This isn't hypocritical in the least.

Hey- on a related note... has anyone filled out a job application questionnaire lately?

They always ask what you should do if you see something illegal happening in your place of work. I'll tell you what the answer is not... call the cops.

There's a reason people are in certain positions. Paterno was a football coach. Not the man in charge.

2. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

Pretty much how I understand it. The amazing thing is that the coach who saw it will probably still be the WR coach at Penn State... figure that one out.

3. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

it's life, everyone makes them, whether big or small... joe just made a big one.. and if one person didn't speak up, we'd still be blind to all this... and his mistake would still be covered... everyone has some sort of skeletons in their closets..

i'm just shooting this out there, but what would the senario be like back when this all went down... are we just overblowing the whole thing because in the present time, child molestation is just below murder now? i wouldnt know since i was only a kid back then... but just wanted to throw that out to further discussion

4. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Wow

Paterno should get some heat obviously. However this guy witnessed it first hand and didnt stop it, then didnt report it to the cops.

It should be his name in the headlines imo.

Theres a lot more (years) to this story. Im sure we all will hear more as time goes on.

5. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Sandusky was investigated by the campus police for a claim a mother made against him in 1998. Then in 2002, a GA came into JoePa office to tell him, in detail, what he saw in the showers on PSU's campus. Then Joe told the AD and went back to work. This isn't a GA saying "hey I saw Sandusky smoking what looked to be pot in the showers"...he was sodomizing a 10 year old boy. So what happens? The coach is told he can no longer bring children on campus anymore. And life for PSU Football goes on. Sandusky still comes around, uses the facilities, all the while there was a coverup by the administration and to some extent the coaches...all of them. That kind of info wasn't staying between the GA and Paterno. Paterno was fired. He should have done the right thing and step aside but instead the University had to fire him. It was the right decision in a cluster of wrong ones...including not firing the GA atleast.

6. Deuce Wayne

Firing him was the "right" decision? Let's not pretend it was anything more than a put-on in desperation. The media was hounding the guy too much to allow him to stay. They had to cut ties for that alone.

Once again- imagine if someone told you your best friend or someone you know, trust, believe to be a great person is raping kids... how would you handle it. I guarantee you wouldn't believe it. You wouldn't want to at least. None of us would. Now if there are multiple instances, or if Joe knew more... sure. But 2nd-hand info from a kid vs a man he knew for how many years?... Probably didn't want to believe it. He still told his higher-up... he didn't try to hide it.

7. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Okay... So I'm sure someone has said this in response to my (unknowingly) inaccurate post.

I had said that everyone involved had been dismissed. That's not correct, and what's shocking is the one guy left involved is the GA - the biggest idiot of all. Why this guy hasn't been fired is beyond me.

He definitely could've stopped this whole thing when he witnessed Sandusky with the kid in the shower. Find a helmet in the locker room and swing at Sandusky 'til he stops moving. Pretty simple. Or if you're a p*ssy, you can at the least call the cops. But he was a p*ssy and an idiot.

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

If someone came in to my office and told me he witnessed my best friend sodomizing a 10 year old in the locker room shower and this same friend had been accused of inappropriate behavior with another boy just 4 years before...I would absolutely alert the authorities. You have to. My wife works in the school system. If someone comes and makes those claims, by law she has to report it to CPS at least. I know if I was as powerful as JoePa the least I would do is make sure this guy never stepped foot in my facility every again. I promise you that the feds and/or state will look into this "turning a blind eye" issue.

Maybe because I am a parent, I look at it from a different angle than someone who apparently just cares about some meaningless football legacy.

Paterno shouldn't have been fired...he should have quit.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. jdog

jdog I like beer!

Civil suit may still be filed since minors were involved and tolling of the statute of limitations may apply to 2 years past the age of majority of the victim or victims. Maybe settlements have already been made and we don't know about it.
    The term that comes to mind when several individuals plan to cover up some illegal or unethical activity is "conspiracy".

10. Deuce Wayne

I haven't hear- was Joe P aware that he had been accused of it before the shower incident? That changes things if so.

And it's different in today's schools that it was 10 years ago. Teachers are required to go directly to police a lot of the times now.

And I'm a parent also and care nothing about his coaching record. Just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt until more is known of his involvement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar