Job Interviews

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gunny, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Soon I will be going for a job interview for a job that I really want and pretty much will kick start my career. Based on my previous experiences with interviews, frankly, I suck at them.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can best prepare for a job interview? Or if anyone has any stories to share. Anything would be fantastic.

Thanks.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Don't take any advice on interviews from Jim Schwartz or Norm Chow...

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

:ha: good one.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Do some research on the company(Aussie FBI) before you go for the interview.The first question they ask may well be what do you know about us.

If you've always wanted this job you need to articulate that enthusiasm & your reasons why you feel that way.

Make up a list of bullet points in word as though your interviewing yourself. Is it important in this job that you can work well in a team? Give examples of how you have done this. Are you a leader or a follower? Both types of person can be assets. A follower needs to take instruction well & work to anticipate needs.

List your strengths relative to the job.You're IT savvy,your self taught in photoshop,have you written a novel or such. What I'm saying is show your intelligence & other strengths.Are you cool under pressure etc?.

You also need to list some weaknesses because you'll be asked about them. Just list a couple but when you do ,show that you are aware of them & are working to overcome them. For example you might try to do everything yourself at times & forget that you could delegate some work to others.

The point of writing this down is that it will become more familiar to you so that when you are asked questions in the interview you are more comfortable & less nervous. Also don't be afraid to take your bullet points into the interview.It shows that you have planned & prepared for the interview & it's also an assertive & confident thing to do.

Dress appropriately for the job interview.Do you need to wear a suit? Greet the interviewer with a confident handshake & a genuine smile,if it's a guy make the hand shake firm.

When seated have a good posture & take out a notebook & pen.Even if for no other reason than to rest your bullet points on.Ask for a glass of water.First of all you might need one but secondly it's assertive & gets them doing something for you.It's all about creating an good impression because even before you've spoken they will form an opinion about you.

Do not fidget,cross your arms or your legs & try to relax.Body language is important. Don't maintain eye contact for long periods.Glancing at your notes will help with this.Again it will help you relax & therefore the interviewer will be relaxed.

The killer moves in an interview can be your own questions to the interviewer.

At this point the #1 important question you need to slip in at some point is, who will come to a decision on whether I'm hired or not?

What support will they provide during your training?

Who will be there to assist you if you have problems?

How will your training be structured?When will I be expected to start?

Where will I be in 3 years within the company?

What are the prospects for promotion?

What, when,where,why,how,who.Those are the key words you need to employ to ask open questions that they can't answer with a single word answer.Get them talking,& you will have a more relaxed interview & create a very good impression.

Near the end of the interview you need to close out strongly.You may know that the interview process involves a second interview or it may be that they'll let you know. Again you need to create an impression & the way to do it is with a killer question. Don't be pushy but try to get a commitment out of them.

What if any do you think are reasons why I won't get a second interview or get the position? The interviewer may squirm at this point but if you've guide the interview the way I've shown it's a valid question. Remember this;'who will come to a decision on whether I'm hired or not?' .

The reason for that was to establish whether you're being interviewed by a decision maker or not.If you are your question will have them by the short hairs.If they say no,the cock sure response is then OK when do I start.

If they give you reasons then you have an opportunity to address them & turn them into positives.

If your not dealing with the decision maker your question should be tailored to suit.IE;What if any do you think are reasons why you won't recommend me for a second interview or for the position?

5. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Being nervous is OK. Don't try to hide anything, it comes across as shady. They will ask you to tell them about yourself. Talk about family and friends in a good way and how you fit in.

Don't talk negatively about a former job or supervisor. Tell them about your strengths. When you talk about your weaknesses, have solutions to improve them.

Decide on an interview suit, try it on and sit in front of a mirror and practice speaking your answers.

If all else fails just ask who you have to sleep with/Lewinsky to get the job.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Depending on the kind of entry-level position it is, I think how you say things is as important as what you say. Try to be confident, yet humble. It is expected that you will be nervous but try to maintain eye contact.

Practicing helps. Ask the interviewer questions about the job, the company, etc. if they allow. Get those questions on paper and memorized before the interview. If your research finds a successful case study, ask specifics about why it was successful. Know the company and their clients (or demographic).

IMO, the worse thing to do for an entry-level position is to ACT like you know more than you do. If it's ENTRY-LEVEL, you probably have little more to offer than potential and enthusiasm. Show a willingness to pay your dues by working hard as you gain experience.

In this career, how do you show qualifications? Are you willing to work at a lessor pay (or even for free) for a certain amount of time in order to prove your worth?

I accepted a job once for a few thousand less than what I wanted because it was a company that had the best reputation in the area. When I suggested it, it floored the owner. I said I would work for $X less if he would pay me the difference in six months as a bonus if he intended to keep me. It worked. I got the job and a nice bonus in six months.

And the best advice I can give is to follow up with a HAND-WRITTEN thank you letter the moment you get home from the interview. You may want to follow up in a few days by e-mail if you so choose but it is amazing what impact such a small thing has.

7. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I'm only an amateur when it comes to having jobs, let alone applying for some, but here is insight others have given that I've used and have been successful with:

1) Research the company or business that is hiring you: Not only to make the interview move more smoothly, but simply just to ask yourself, "is this something I would want to be doing/working for anyway?". Check out the website, talk to people working inside already.

2) Make sure your resume is honest: I know a lot of guys will make up a few things, but to me that only leads to trouble.

3) Go in ready with a lot of questions: It shows interest and genuine curiosity and willingness to learn about the work. An inquisitive person appears more attractive to an employer, and you'll see more follow-ups because of this.

I usually ask about training, opportunities to work with others, how much assertion I'll need to balance working under those who know more than I do, etc.

4) It's not the end of the world if you don't get the job, so relax: I think if you ask most people, many will say they're nervous for an interview. And that is to be expected. But going in with the mindset that will make you more relaxed (notice I didn't say totally; I don't think I've ever been too comfortable while being interviewed).

Childress and Jeff had better points than I did, and I would co-sign both posts.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

9. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

10. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Here's my tips for Australian jobs.

(FWIW, I haven't had a job interview since my first interview 10 yeras ago. Every job since, I was tapped on the shoulder for, but I have interviewed and hired dozens of people).

Don't act like a pompous wanker. Having 14 pages of certificates from all your achievements in front of you makes you seem like a tool without a life.

Be genuinely enthusiastic without gushing about it. If you feign indifference to try and be calm, it generally comes off the wrong way. Like others said, research the website, understand the organisation's main objectives and ask questions about them.

Take your time to understand the question, clarify it if necessary and answer it succinctly. Talk to your knowledge first, then back this up with experience (not the other way around). e.g. "I know that section 56 of the Trade Practices Act deals with misleading and deceptive conduct and was introduced to ensure probity in business transactions. In my previous job, I was responsible for researching cases by claimants against this section and providing recommendations....."

This also allows you (as a relatively young interviewee) to be on an equal footing. Even if you have not had experience in a certain task, if you can demonstrate knowledge on a subject, and a willingness to gain experience, you can still answer a question positively.

Thank the interview panel (by name) sincerely for the opportunity regardless of how it went.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar