Jimmy Garopplo -- QB To Keep An Eye On

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Hammer, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You know my first take on Carr was he's trouble, but at that point I hadn't seen a whole lot of him, so I stopped talking about him, but now Im curious since you and pmar say different things.

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Woah, I never said I wanted Carr - said there was potential.

I did a long time ago, basing it off production and size... then I started actually watching film/highlights... and talk about an overrated prospect. He can gun the ball, but that's about it. But you can't teach arm strength. Mechanics you can fix. He's a project.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

I'm thinking that trading back into the 20s and picking up another 1st, 2nd or 3rd would be a good deal in this draft. That way we could get one of the 2nd tier QBs like carr, and still have some insurance with additional picks.

4. JCBRAVE

We still are 2-3 impact players away from being where we need to be, so I could be okay with trading back.

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Starter

Round 1: BPA defense
    Round 2: Jimmy G.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. xpmar9x

As far as Derek Carr goes:

+ Elite Arm, best arm in the draft
    + Gun Slinger (Stafford/Cutler-esque)
    + Keeps eyes downfield
    + Decent athlete
    + Calls pre-snap adjustments (result of film study?)
    + 3 year starter
    + Solid size (6'3 220)
    - Weak schedule/conf
    - Beat up bad teams, average vs good teams
    - Always in gun
    - Crumbles w/ any sign of pressure
    - Inconsistent mechanics/release
    - Wasn't "clutch" in key plays/drives
    - Inflated stats due to system
    You can't teach an arm, but if you can get Derek to correct his inconsistent mechanics & release, he could be special. The fact that he is a film junkie, but still makes silly mistakes scares me. Not many QBs in college are calling audibles and pre-snap adjustments like he does, which can be a positive or a negative. He also has no pocket presence, which is weird because he's a decent athlete. He just doesn't understand how to move and glide in the pocket. If he doesn't have room to step into his throw, they're normally awful. I use to see him as a Top-10 talent, now he's more of a late 1st guy.

7. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

That pressure/crumble thing worries me the most when you couple that with shotty mechanics.

It's one thing to say... He's lazy with his feet and he doesn't work the pocket well. - that can be fixed IMO.

It's completely different to say he's scared of the pocket AND he has shotty mechanics - this means he has to over come muscle memory while over coming a mental barrier.

"His mechanics look fine at practice now... But he always reverts to that crappy crap when live bullets are flying by"

Guaranteed.

8. xpmar9x

I would take him in the 2nd. I would not take him at #11, or trade up for him. But, I would take him in the 2nd. Everything that's wrong with him can be fixed, not easy to fix - but possible.

9. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Yea. I'd swing in the second. Said this before. But dude isn't first round to me. At all.

10. JCBRAVE

Umm whats the deal with this Davante Adams cat Carr throws to? Holy smokes he's got some stats. 24 TD's?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar