Jim Schwartz

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bulluck, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba titan

bubba titan Camp Fodder

TJ, I like your insight. I, too, do not think we can blame everything on the coordinators.

I wish I had answers for today's debacle. I honestly think today was one of the worst performances I have ever seen from the Titans. This is especially true when you consider the magnitude of the game. Was anyone else glued to the TV rooting for Chicago?

I think it is time for Bud to make a phone call. He needs to explain to Fish & Co. that we were outplayed and out-coached--it worked the last time.

As far as our team, it is hard for me to believe that Albert is that valuable--but it is apparently true. Even KVB has been largely ineffective and no one can question his heart. Albert is the only missing link.

Lendale is not a good running back. Do we need to draft a running back? No. The New York Times has a great article in today's paper about the fact that RB's are easy to find and cheap to replace. We do, however, need to put Lendale on the bench and find a way, any way, to motivate him.

Before the season started, I think anyone would have been happy with 9-7. We got spoiled. Our talent level is not there. We have had several bad drafts. Losing Pac Man made a bad situation worse. We might not make the playoffs, but I will still be content with 9-7--this assumes, of course, that the players actually play and look like they care. After today's game, I am not sure that either of these things (playing and playing with heart) will happen.

2. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

Lets look at a few parts of the Scheme. Why are the corners lined up 10 yrds off the WR on 3rd and 3? Why are the LB's 5 yrds of the LOS on 3rd and inches?

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Forfeit.

Seriously, I suggested things in my first post and others have said things as well. What super_titan just posted, "Why are the corners lined up 10 yrds off the WR on 3rd and 3? Why are the LB's 5 yrds of the LOS on 3rd and inches?" are some of the things I've been asking all day.

Our D was more varied. But the calls were very questionable. Playing 10 yards off the WRs on 3rd and 1. Blitzing from the outside on second and third down short situations. I saw some fake inside blitzes, but I never saw many real inside blitzes.

And who said it was all Schwartz's fault anyway? Why did you assume that?

This D immediately dropped statistically when Schwartz took over for Williams. The D has been one of the worst in the league the last few seasons. This drop off this season is horrible.

So, do you think it's all because KVB, Brown, Odom, Bulluck, Thornton, Fowler, Griffin, Finny, Hope, and Harper all suck and are terrible?? I could infer that from the way you defend Schwartz.

Schwartz not the worst DC in the league? Maybe. But he isn't good. It may not be all his fault, but over his career as DC, he has not done good. There isn't much of a way to spin it in his favor, except of course to put all the blame on others.

4. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

This thread is credited toward about 5 years of frustration from the man, not just three games, fwiw...

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

True but would you agree that if you have a weak link that you can do nothing about in the short term that it is up tp the coaches to try & plan to avoid having the weak link exploited?

That is a very bold statement. I would agree that after the Bengals opening drive in the 2nd half no other coach could have got the players back together mentally.At that point they were psychologically broken for the day.

I don't agree that no other coach could have or could be getting more out of our players.

Get out any game tape from last year other than our 1st meeting with the Colts & the Bengals game looks like a carbon copy.

While yet again the D was left out on the field forever by our offense we had problems from the outset.

All the problems began at the line.On running plays we were pushed around at will,on passing plays we created no pressure. The Bengals interior line moved Palmer's pocket a step upfield & as a result ours ends were rushing to get to where Palmer no longer stood.

Our front 4 has the widest stance of any team in the league.With Haynesworth in to stuff the middle it gives Van Den Bosch & Odom the shortest route to the QB. Without Haynesworth in the wide stance weakens the line yet our ends continue to rush. This leaves 3 against to on our interior line on every play.KVB wasn't double teamed yesterday,he didn't need to be.

The only variation we showed in our front four yesterday was to rush an extra man at times. Same problem,the collapse of our interior formation meant the rushers were never going to get to the QB.

Given that much time with all his great WR's we stood no chance.Quick outs,crossing patterns ,deep balls,they took whatever we gave them.

If you can't pressure the QB defenders are always going to play second fiddle to the WR's. When you have pressure the defenders gain an edge to time their tackles or make a break on the ball.

There is nothing we can do to alter who we have in Starks,Brown & Veal but we can change the gaps in our front fours stance.We could insert Fowler or Tulloch into the line or we could alternate rushing Odom & KVB. That decision is not down to the players.

The difference between our players looking like a well oiled unit or a group of headless chickens is rooted in the effectiveness of our front four. We have yet to make any adjustments.

I'm an armchair coach so my ideas to fix things may be flawed,my observation that we haven't made any adjustments is sound.

Both Schwartz & Fisher are accountable.

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

:hang:

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Riverman,

fisher's body of work? Half of fisher's playoff teams have been with schwartz at DC. We have been to the post season just as many times with schwartz as we did with williams..

And fisher's body of work sucks. If we miss the playoffs again this year it will be 4 straight years and only 4 years out of 13. That's not great coaching.

You said that schwartz has to be responsible for for his unit. Fisher is responsible for that unit also. Fisher is intimately involved in game planning and halftime adjustments. Harry truman? The buck stops where?

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We were not going to win no matter what. Carson palmer was on fire and with those Wrs nobody could have stopped them outright. It's the fact we didn't cover better, tackle better or get much of a pass rush with our front 4.

Our run defense wasn't as bad as many think. The bengals averaged 4.34 yards a rush which isn't good but not pure crap considering how potent the bengals passing game was.

What was humiliating was that we were dominated in the red zone on both sides. 6 times the bengals were in our red zone and only once did we force them to kick a FG. That is inexcusable and our coverage in the red zone was pathetic. 5X we were in their red zone and came up with no Tds. So the bengals visited our red zone only one more time than we visited theirs!

How many realize we gained more yards per play than they did? 6.1 yards to their 5.7. Incredible..

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If you guys love this team, please take the time to send these wonderful defensive scheme gems of ideas to:

[email protected]

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I will suggest Operation: Outback Savior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar